T1D and Endurance Sports Training

(Hill) #1

At age 58 I had an adverse reaction to a combo of hypertension drugs. I was severely ill for 6 months. Went from 170lbs to 145lbs, BP was as low as 70/40 (w/blackout episodes) to 180/140, constant vomiting for 4 months, hospital personnel couldn’t figure it out, MD told me not to change my diet, go on a pump and that IT WAS NOT CAUSED BY THE MEDS HE PRESCRIBED! (it was!).

Now, integrated practitioner, plant based diet, no hypertension meds, BP 110/60-70, resting HR 58.

Here’s what bugs me based on present performance stats as compared to 2-3 yrs ago: My MPH running pace on past ( 2-3 years ago) treadmill running TT @ aerobic pace 122-124BPM was 8.8MPH
After restarting run training in Mid January 2017, today @120-122 HR my pace is a remarkably slower
11.4MPH!!
I begin to wonder if the drugs caused some damage to my vascular system. Age? Diabetes?
My dad died from peripheral vascular disease, so that’s always on my mind.
I swim 8000 - 10000M a week, cycle (weather permitting) about 100 miles a week - seemingly slower & slower. What does everyone think? Is it psycological? Physical? Diabetes related?

What ever you say, don’t blame it on my age!!!

(joe) #2

@Hill. You mayhave lost considerable muscle mass and it will take time. Also, Some BP meds protect your kidneys.

(Hill) #3

Well Joe, you may have a point re: muscle mass although I did come from a fast twitch history and went through the slow & arduous MAF rate (max aerobic function) of slow twitch training over 2 decades ago. Always weight trained and still do. More likely the slow slide from the age performance plateau.

In regard to some BP meds being kidney protectors (25 yrs ago an endocrinologist explained them as turning the cheesecloth into a coffee filter). I am of the view that these meds may have short to intermediate benefit but many pharmaceuticals wouldn’t be necessary if A1C levels are sub 6 combined with a strict diet & exercise program. Long term they may very well be immunosuppressants in nature, as I had learned… the hard way.

I swore to myself I would never allow that to happen again. No more caseins, animal proteins, gluten…I recently removed peanut butter & avocado from my diet when I discovered my LDL had increased. For me, PB is seemingly more habitual than coffee!

One other thing that may add to my much slower MAF rate treadmill TT with 18 months of diligent training: My red blood cell count has been below normal for several years.

Cheers!