T1D Diagnosis as Adult due to Pancreatitus

(Carol) #1

Hello All,

I am searching for people that have had a similar journey to mine. I am 69 years old and have T1D due to pancreatitus. I am new to T1D but at a very late age, not like many of you who were diagnosed earlier in life as a child or young adult.

In Nov 2016 I was diagnosed with T1D due to a severe pancreatitus attack. I no long have a functioning pancreas and am taking heavy doses of Creon as a digestive enzyme that my pancreas no longer produces. Also, I no longer produce any insulin and am taking Lantus and Novalog.

I have been struggling with low BG and been hospitalized a few times. I feel so alone. I wonder if the Creon negatively affects the utilization of the insulin. For whatever reason, my Gastro-Interologist and Endocrinologist have not been able to give me any clear answer to this question. Does anyone out there have similar circumstances?

Prior to my pancreatitus attack I lead a very active, healthy life. I do believe my healthy lifestyle helped me in my recovery. The adjustments to my physical activity are over-whelming and often depresses me.

I would love to hear from you

Carol H

(joe) #2

@cpeitersen hi Carol,

the only difference with getting a diagnosis of t1 at 4 years old versus 74 years old is the length of time you weren’t t1.

normal blood sugar is a very tiny target. the lowest and highest normal blood sugar values are the width of 4 “skittles” worth of sugar. I often describe the target as trying to throw a quarter into a shot glass from across the room.

the thing that makes it tough is that insulin is tricky. if you take insulin and you are even slightly more active… the insulin works harder and your blood sugar drops lower than you expect. for the first couple years it is always a good idea to have fast acting carbs (like glucose tablets) on you at all times.

in a relatively short time, you will become an expert at using insulin. For the time being, carbohydrates make your blood sugar go up - insulin and exercise makes your blood sugar go down. once you get really good at insulin - you can have any level of activity you want to have.

if you like to read - please consider getting the book “Think Like a Pancreas”. it has everything you need to know.

I did injections (shots of a different sort lol) for almost 30 years before switching to an insulin pump. It was a good decision for me because of my lifestyle. many people also find that a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) is a worthwhile device as well.

good luck please let us know how you are doing!