Tattoo or Bracelet?

(Amanda ) #1

I know I have a little while to go before I can get a tattoo, but I was wondering which one is a better idea to get. I thought tattoo because it lasts forever as does diabetes. But some of my friends said they thought a bracelet would be better because if, by some miricle by a loving God, diabetes may go away. I have no idea which to get once I get to the age I can get a tattoo. Can anyone help?? :smiley:

(Kathleen) #2

Hi Amanda - My daughter 10yo, has T1D. I have a tattoo on my arm of her name with a Plumeria, that I got in Maui. She of course wants one too. I believe that the age for tattoos varies per state. In most it is 16 with parent consent and 18 otherwise. My daughter has a couple of different ID bracelets to wear, one more dressy, the other she can swim, etc. with she also has a necklace if she doesn’t feel like the bracelet. I have told her even for a T1D tat or any other tattoo, she needs to wait until 18. They are permanent and like your friends said, by the grace of God, if there is a cure, you don’t want to have to get a cover-up, on the other hand, wouldn’t that be a wonderful problem to have to have to cover up the fact that you used to be a T1D? I pray that they will find a cure for this. My advice is do what makes you happy.

(lgirlcg) #3

My son is 22 years old he wears his Bracelet everyday. I think a tattoo is great. He doesn’t have one. I think they just don’t have a lot of guy bracelets. I would wait tell she’s 18. There’s a lot of cute tattoos for type 1

(Amanda ) #4

Ok. Thanks @lgirlcg!! :smiley:

(bsteingard) #5

I would go with a bracelet for the simple reason that first responders are trained to look for them. I’ve never heard of people getting tattoos before, but if you do get one make sure it’s in your wrist where people will see it.

I have a Medicalalert bracelet and put all of my medical history in my profile online, so if I’m ever brought to a hospital by an ambulance the doctors there can call Medicalert to get all the pertinent information, including my other autoimmune diseases and allergies, and not just that I’m diabetic.

(Lisa) #6

Great Idea!!! What would it look like? Spelled all the way? T1D?

(Amanda ) #7

This is what I want to get.
Image result for type one diabetes tattoo with butterfly

(Amanda ) #8

I found it online and thought it looked cool.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #9

I fully agree with @bsteingard recommendation of MedicAlert [https://www.medicalert.org/ ], I’ve been a member for over 50 years - all my important medical information is stored there for emergency personnel. And MedicAlert has a good variety of EASILY recognized bracelets, necklaces, ,etc. EMS personnel often do NOT notice tattoos - and the really nice looking tattoo posted by Amanda does not say SHE has diabetes. It is attractive.

I also strongly endorse the ICE [In Case of Emergency] available for all phones; this app locates the “ICE” name at the top of your contact list and allows you to enter your medical condition, your doctors and your emergency contact information. On two occasions when I was non-responsive EMS personnel told me that was a lifesaver.

Our daughter who was an “over-the=road” trauma medic for over 20 years told me the first thing they look for after stopping bleeding and getting a person breathing is a bracelet emblem and ICE. The home screen on my phone is my MedicAlert emblem, my diabetes condition and my serial number issued by MedicAlert with their phone number.

(Andy) #10

This is gonna be a very “dad-like” response to your idea about getting tattoed.

I have kids and both went thru the “I want to get a tattoo” phase. All I ever told them was if it was something they wanted to do, Please be sure to pick something you LOVE enuf to see, every single day of your life.

I don’t LOVE my diabetes enuf to have to see it seared into my body for eternity. I don’t need a reminder that I’m diabetic. I wear a medic alert chain (not by choice) and that’s more than enuf of a public display for my taste.

Not bagging on tattoos. They are fine if you want to decorate your body but in this day and age, they are so common place that any sort of messaging would just be looked over in an emergency. I agree with the others. Emergency medical folks are trained to look for chains or bracelets.

Also, teenage skin doesn’t stay in place, a lot of the time.
Two of my brothers got tattoos. Years ago. They used to say “Sherry” and “Carlene”. These days, they just look like giant hematomas. A blurry glob of blackened skin.

(Monica) #11

I am 55 y.o. and have bees T1d for 45 years. Over those years, I have lost or broke so many MedicAlert-type bracelets I lost count. So, a couple of years ago, I got a very basic tattoo on the inside of my right wrist, where first responders would look for a bracelet.

It ain’t pretty, but I didn’t get it for prettiness.