Telling my boss?

(system) #1

so my work's head boss, box office manager and our finance manager in the office know i'm on the pump now and i'm sorting through getting my basal rates..but my manager, whose our work's boss's assistant, knows i was getting the pump but i don't think i told her i was starting this weekend.

our finance manager told me this morning when he was asking how it was going so far, that i should tell her so she knows what's going on..even tho i said i don't think i'll need to take any sick days.

so...how the hell do i do that? i was already late for work today by like 10mins cuz i had to test at midnight, 2am and 3am this morning..so i slept in a bit.

"hey mandy just so you know i started my pump this weekend and the next few weeks i'm going to be testing all day and throughout the night while we figure out my hourly insulin needs. i don't forsee needing to take any time off work for it, but just so you're aware for the next few weeks that's what's going on.." ????

ugh i hate this part of being a diabetic.

(JDVsMom) #2

[quote user="Batts"]

"hey mandy just so you know i started my pump this weekend and the next few weeks i'm going to be testing all day and throughout the night while we figure out my hourly insulin needs. i don't forsee needing to take any time off work for it, but just so you're aware for the next few weeks that's what's going on.." ????

[/quote]

Maybe more like this: (I usually hate things like this too, even though I am not D - so I find it is good if I plan out what I'm gonna say.)

"hey mandy, I don't think I got a chance to tell you on Friday that I was starting my pump this weekend. Things are going well so far, but I guess it might take a little more time getting used to than I expected.  Over the next few weeks i'm going to be testing all day and throughout the night while we get everything figured out and working as best it possibly can.  i don't forsee needing to take any time off work for it, but just so you're aware for the next few weeks that's what's going on. I might need to eat more often and test more often but that only takes a minute. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of it in case you have any concerns."

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

(system) #3

hmmm that sounds better haha. i gotta work up the courage now. blah.

(since030993) #4

Batts, I have confidence that you will find the courage!  Good luck, hun!

(system) #5

i decided to wait til the end of the day cuz usually the last 30mins everyone is just dicking around on their computers waiting for 430...but my head boss and our accountant got into a discussion about some promoter or something at like 415 and still hadn't finished by 430 when i was getting ready to leave so i'm gonna have to do it tomorrow...blah.

(sarahslp) #6

How did it go? Did you do it today?

(system) #7

ya i did it this morning after her and the other office ladies went to get coffee before our boss' bday cake. she was fine with it and i had told her i would be training but hadn't gone into detail or something. she just asked if there was anything they needed to do and if there was a big risk i would go into a seizure or something. she also said it was no problem if i had to leave to go get a coke or whatever from the lunchroom and to not worry about it, just do what i need to. and she was glad i wouldn't have to miss work, but if i needed to she wants me to feel no pressure to come in and to just do whatever i need to. (i'm pretty lucky..i dont keep track of my sick days or appointments, but i know its more than most people in the office tho i try to make it one day only..and they've never brought it up as an issue)

(since030993) #8

i'm glad everything worked out for you today!

(sarahslp) #9

You know, for all our complaints on here about ignorant people, it's really nice when bosses can be flexible about sick leave, etc! When I was pregnant, I had 3-4 appts/week by the end and missed TONS of work. My boss said she didn't want to punish me for my medical condition, so she said I could take as much paid leave as I needed as long as I didn't tell anyone else. (Oops, I just wrote that online, lol!). But, it's nice when people can be flexible!!

(system) #10

[quote user="Sarah"]

You know, for all our complaints on here about ignorant people, it's really nice when bosses can be flexible about sick leave, etc! When I was pregnant, I had 3-4 appts/week by the end and missed TONS of work. My boss said she didn't want to punish me for my medical condition, so she said I could take as much paid leave as I needed as long as I didn't tell anyone else. (Oops, I just wrote that online, lol!). But, it's nice when people can be flexible!!

[/quote]

yeah it's better for them if i stay home, since i'm usually only needing a day before i'm well enough to work thankfully i dont get extremely ill often, than have me come in and get everyone else sick. we have a small office, so if one person gets sick, everyone gets it. and they understand that i can't help going to the doctor and stuff...i don't abuse it which probably helps too. other than taking a last minute vacation day after my foot tattoo when i couldn't walk..i try to avoid taking sick days unless i'm actually so sick i can't work and when i have appointments i usually skip lunch the next day to make up for having taken more than my hour break(i never take a lunch break AND leave for a doctor's appointment).