Thanksgiving headache Anyone?

(lemonwedges4) #1

Are we all read y for the big day tomorrow?? I can;t wait to be bolusing and checking my blood sugar number all day long!!! Not!!!

So, anyone have good tips for tomorrow, or any holiday in general???

I am looking forward to pie tomorrow!!! One of the few times I actually don't worry about it!! A holiday treat to myself :) !!!

(A-D) #2

Stephanie,

I carb guess, play bolus roulette, do some extended dosing and hope for the best.  Today I blew my entire carb allotment in one meal had a snack and am ready to retire.  Tomorrow, I will go to two Thanksgiving day dinners and probably try to eat more turkey than stuffing (and potatoes and desserts…) J

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!! 

Here’s hoping we all hit our targets!

Cheers!

A-D

(Drew21) #3

Yep, play the guessing game, its what I do, just take a bunch of insulin. eat. check take some more and eat more, untill its time to go to bed. :)

(Gina) #4

Listen, what i do is keep checking and eating all day, its the only way to do it lol

Check, eat, bolus, check, correct, eat, bolus, check, correct, correct, correct, eat, bolus lmao

(xoxobl0ndie325) #5

As a post-Thanksgiving reply I would like to say this was my first Thanksgiving as a diabetic...actually my first holiday in general and it sucked. My blood sugar was up and down and up and down and now it's really high. So, I wasn't too fond of it. BUT I did what everyone else said...check correct eat more lol

(red) #6

It's a bit easier with a pump that's for sure. We make sure our Cassie pre-boluses for the feast and try to give out an extended bolust to help keep a roller coaster BG numbers from happening.

(type1at18) #7

[quote user="Ashley"]

As a post-Thanksgiving reply I would like to say this was my first Thanksgiving as a diabetic...actually my first holiday in general and it sucked. My blood sugar was up and down and up and down and now it's really high. So, I wasn't too fond of it. BUT I did what everyone else said...check correct eat more lol

[/quote]

i have to agree

first thanksgiving as a diabetic for me as well... i had highs and lows all day long

i felt miserable. did not enjoy it

(GingerVieira) #8

Hey guys,

I'm Ginger, from over at www.diabeteens.com

I think another way to go about a big day of holiday meals (Christmas is coming up!) is to not only check and correct all the time, but plan ahead for the fact that you're going to consuming a lot more food than usual that day and increase your basal rates by using a temporary basal that you can set up with you doctor. Or you could use a slightly higher than usual carb-to-insulin ratio because the food you're eating will be so full of both carbs and fats and there's just so much of it!

And of course, nothing beats the benefit of a little exercise EVEN on the holidays. Even a simple walk can help keep your BGs down.

I plan to get the family moving on Christmas day! :)

-Ginger

(A-D) #9

Ginger,

What you term "planning ahead for eating more," I think is what a lot of us (at least me) mean by "carb guessing." 

I couldn't agree more with your comment on the benefits of walking around after the big meal - to spite the Siren-song of the couch post-turkey, getting out and walking/running around does make the balancing act quite a bit easier.

The changing the IC was one idea I'd not heard from anyone before... interesting idea.

Cheers,

A-D

(xoxobl0ndie325) #10

well im sorry you had trouble also. but we all can get through it. you just gotta keep thinkin that. its liveable! :)