The PUMP verdict is in...I'm ditching it and going back to shots

(system) #1

As of tomorrow morning I will be going back to MDI!

I went to my endo appointment with my mom today to discuss it and look at my A1C. Since my mom has been involved since I was 6, and I have problems dealing with male authority figures..which often means I don't express what I am thinking, burst into tears from fear of disappointing/failing, and just generally can't speak up when needs..my mom comes with me.especially after my last appointment alone with my endo..which resulted in me bursting tears moments later in her car. (i know i sound like a wussy and really i'm pretty stubborn but this is the result of a childhood trauma).

While sitting in the waiting room, I started to not feel well...so I tested and sure enough I was 4.2...this from the correction at 1050am when I was 19. I had some hard candy, and waited for my level to come back up. By the time I got into his office and we were already half way through my appointment, I had dropped to 3.4 and we had to stop so he could grab me some juice.

We looked at my A1C which is MUCH better than before(7.4) but when I told him, still having a hypo at the time, that I have multiple lows a week, if not a day..and that while my overal control seems to be between 8-10 instead of 8-12(with some highs)..i'm going low more and the actual fluxation in my levels is much greater.

He asked me what I wanted to do, and that either way it was my choice. I always thought he was pro-pump, but I realized in this appointment...he isn't as much as I thought. My mom expressed for me(she knows better than anyone else as I rant to her about the pump all the time, broke down to tears from anxiety the weeks leading up to the pump, and broke down a few times while being on the pump when I was frusterated) how it's not making my life easier, it's harder if anything and I feel more weighed down by my diabetes now.

He pretty much just said, if it's not making my life easier, i'm not liking it and it's giving me such fluxations..that we would try MDI again. I have gotten my A1C down to 7.6 using shots, and he said if anything I just need to keep the same routine I had with the pump..but with shots. That I can manually mimic the pump, and that hopefully I've learnt some good habits from the last three months that I was having trouble with before.

So I'm back to Lantus twice a day, and Novorapid as usual when I eat. My carb ratio is now 1:10 for all meals(whereas on MDI before it was 1:15 for dinner). My correction dose has changed from 1:2.5 to 1:3..as my corrections on the pump always seem to land me going low.

We discussed going onto a different insulin but the other one..starts with an "A"..can't remember what it is though..only comes in pens and I cannot use pens..they freak me out.

So I have to call Animas about a refund and tomorrow morning I will take my Lantus morning dose same as before and remove the pump. We're going to re-visit the idea of the pump next year and see where I'm at/where the technology is. My endo said he'd prefer a pump that adjusted my basal rates itself based on my level.

(Run D-Link) #2

This decision seems to be in the best interest of your health and levels.  I think you made the right choice, were open minded, yet critical, and the results will be favorable for you.

Good luck with everything.

(ajax) #3

Yay! I'm glad you feel good about your decision - and I bet it's nice for you to be able to tell people "told you so!" Good luck with MDI.

(BrianPQuinn) #4

Batt's the best of luck. I am sorry that you and the pump did not get along. I hope that you are better able to maintain control over your lows if nothing else. I am sure you made the right decision for you and your well being. If nothing else you gave the pump a good shot. And if you are able to keep your a1c down I am sure things will go great for you!

(system) #5

Thanks :) I felt so much better yesterday afternoon..like a weight was lifted off my shoulders! This morning when I took my Lantus shot and took my pump out I went "YAY!" and my boyfriend, who was in the living room, went "a little bit excited it's gone eh?" lol

I think the pump helped me get into the habit of testing..though I'm kinda confused cuz my endo told me to make sure I test 4times a day...but oh well..anyways the lows I was having with the pump..I am SO happy those are going to be GONE! :D Yesterday not only did I have a low in his office, but a few hours later after waking up from a nap on the couch after correcting a highblood of 16(had no IOB) i dropped down to 3 again! ugh! i hate lows.

Anyways, we'll see how this goes! my next appt is March and let's see how well I can do on MDI now.

...I can't believe I woke up and didn't have to worry about where I was going to clip my pump on my clothing today! No more crying in frusteration because I can't comfortable wear it, or rolling onto it when i'm sleeping and waking up...and no more fiddling with for sex!

I'm FREEEEEE! :D

(JDVsMom) #6

Batts - I am glad you are happy with the decision! That is the most important thing in life - that we feel good about the direction we are heading and feel we have some level of control over the course of our lives. Merry Christmas!

Oh - and is the other insulin "Apidra"? We have Novolog pens for my son - but don't use the pens - just the pen vials of insulin with syringes since they are smaller/ more handy (well of course before starting his pump last week).  Just a thought on how to get around the pen issue (I hate those things too!)

(system) #7

[quote user="JDVsMom"]

Batts - I am glad you are happy with the decision! That is the most important thing in life - that we feel good about the direction we are heading and feel we have some level of control over the course of our lives. Merry Christmas!

Oh - and is the other insulin "Apidra"? We have Novolog pens for my son - but don't use the pens - just the pen vials of insulin with syringes since they are smaller/ more handy (well of course before starting his pump last week).  Just a thought on how to get around the pen issue (I hate those things too!)

[/quote]

Yes! Apidra!! haha.

I may end up trying that, but my Endo said they are all pretty much the same. He almost suggested I try R..but I was on that for 13years and it never worked, so we're gonna see what happens in the next three months with Novorapid. :)

(Kateski) #8

Welcome back to MDI Batts!    Also, just a thought, because I also have an inherent problem with male doctors (I have had some really bad experiences)... maybe you could find a female endo?

(meme) #9

The best thing is that you gave the pump a try. You now know more about it and one day may give it another try.Good luck to you !

(system) #10

[quote user="Kate"]

Welcome back to MDI Batts!    Also, just a thought, because I also have an inherent problem with male doctors (I have had some really bad experiences)... maybe you could find a female endo?

[/quote]

theres only three endo's on the island. two are male(and both now work in the same office) and one female..who is apparently uneducated. i looked around for recommendations for her when i left my appointment 3months ago in a fit of tears but they all came back negative for her. my endo and the other male endo on the island are two of the top endo's in BC so i have no choice really. I'm sure i'll get over it at some point when i'm much older, but for now I'm alright with my mom being there.

(Matthews Dad) #11

So glad you are finally in the state of having a major decision over. The thing about the whole deal is that technology changes - revisit in a year, 2 years, 5 years whenever and the outlook may be different.

Just goes to show you that Moms are there for you - no matter how old you are.

(system) #12

[quote user="Keith"]

So glad you are finally in the state of having a major decision over. The thing about the whole deal is that technology changes - revisit in a year, 2 years, 5 years whenever and the outlook may be different.

Just goes to show you that Moms are there for you - no matter how old you are.

[/quote]

exactly what my Endo said. We'll look at it again in a year and see where the technology is at and if I want to give it another shot :)

even if my mom gets on my nerves I know she's got my back :D

My co-worker came up to me a few mins ago and went "you know the horoscope you had yesterday that you posted on FB? wasn't it weird how it was talking about a huge decision you had to make and you were just about to go to your endo about the pump? isn't that weird!" haha

yesterday's horoscope: If you have had a recent disappointment, today is the day of restoration and healing, Libra. If you have been involved in activities that have put a good deal of stress on the body, today you can expect relief and recuperation today. Try to shift your focus to appreciation and caring today. It is important that you recognize the current stress as an opportunity to spend some time regenerating your energies, and not wallow in disappointment or loss. If you can't shake your bad mood, do not try to pass it off to others.

(red) #13

The pump isn't for everyone and it's great that you keep trying different things to treat YOUR particular brand of diabetes. Good luck!

(sarahslp) #14

[quote user="JDVsMom"]

[/quote]

I've always liked the pens. It's easier/quicker in public for me than drawing up a syringe. Obviously you should do what works best for you b/c it differs for each person! I was just wondering. (;

(JDVsMom) #15

[quote user="Sarah"]

[quote user="JDVsMom"]

[/quote]

I've always liked the pens. It's easier/quicker in public for me than drawing up a syringe. Obviously you should do what works best for you b/c it differs for each person! I was just wondering. (;

[/quote]

Pens didn't work for my son because his doses were so small - and apparently the pens are not very accurate at less than 2 units. (Which we RARELY had to give.) When we were trying them (because I did like the idea!) I always seemed to see insulin on the skin and John always was high after - so just used syringes. For us in public, just threw the pen vial and 2 syringes in his meter case and we were good to go. But now wer'e pumping! And mostly loving it!

(system) #16

I tried the thing where you load the needle in and press a button which shoots the needle into your skin and then you push the plunger in...that made me cry when my mom used it(we were at a party with another diabetic child there and our moms got to talking and we were offered to try it)..i think i was about 6 or 7 so still pretty new and the noise it made, the fact my mom didn't have control over how fast it was put into my skin scared me.

I tried an insulin pen for humalog R about 5 or 6years ago..I donno what I did but I ended up giving myself double the dose and staying home from school filling my stomach with food as my bloodsugar dropped. That was enough to turn me off of it..that fact I could give myself double a dose without realizing it or even trying to.

I was hanging with another diabetic this fall who uses a pen for his shortacting..and when he did it in front of me I actually cringed and had to leave the room or go to the other side of his apartment. The clicking noise bothered me and I couldn't handle hearing it. Pens freak me out!

haha I know..I'm weird.

(Sarah_0776) #17

[quote user="Batts"]

I tried the thing where you load the needle in and press a button which shoots the needle into your skin and then you push the plunger in...that made me cry when my mom used it(we were at a party with another diabetic child there and our moms got to talking and we were offered to try it)..i think i was about 6 or 7 so still pretty new and the noise it made, the fact my mom didn't have control over how fast it was put into my skin scared me.

I tried an insulin pen for humalog R about 5 or 6years ago..I donno what I did but I ended up giving myself double the dose and staying home from school filling my stomach with food as my bloodsugar dropped. That was enough to turn me off of it..that fact I could give myself double a dose without realizing it or even trying to.

I was hanging with another diabetic this fall who uses a pen for his shortacting..and when he did it in front of me I actually cringed and had to leave the room or go to the other side of his apartment. The clicking noise bothered me and I couldn't handle hearing it. Pens freak me out!

haha I know..I'm weird.

[/quote]

You can get pens that you don't have to push a button for. The thing you used was probably a thing that you insert the pen in, so you don't have to manually insert the needle into your skin. But you can just have the ben by itself and inject it like a regular syringe- no button pushing/shooting the needle into yourself.

(system) #18

Good for you. If I remember right you were never very keen on the pump. For Mom and the Endo.?

A side question, I read where you said the island. I've been to Victoria Island, BC, have family there, been swimming in some lake there. I think a family name is Dr. Mc Kechney(spelling) and something about college soccer.

(Kristinamellis) #19

my daughter is 4 and recently diagnosed... and lol she is looking forward to the day she can try the pump... I am dreading it because i watched the video on here of the member's day with diabetes video and it seems like it is sooooo much more work than it is worth... yes, i can see how it would be more descrete- but right now we have a good routine going, and it takes less than two minutes tops to get everything set up, test, and inject.

As for injections, the pens worked wonders for us, but that is because Brenna has major panic attacks and anxiety with needles... and the pens do not look like syringes, so they are less scary- just words of advice from a mom with a young child! =)

Batts- Glad to hear that you are FREE! =) I am crossing my fingers, toes, and eye balls that this new situation works for you!

(ajax) #20

[quote user="Kristinamellis"]

my daughter is 4 and recently diagnosed... and lol she is looking forward to the day she can try the pump... I am dreading it because i watched the video on here of the member's day with diabetes video and it seems like it is sooooo much more work than it is worth... 

[/quote]

So, for some people, like Batts, it doesn't work. For me, the amount of work is WAY less than when I was on MDI. I'm WAY less self conscious about pulling out the pump, and excited to talk about it instead of feeling hardened and nervous everytime I needed to do a shot. I can check the pump's history and make sure I bolused for that snack I had half an hour ago. I don't have to do the math for every bolus, just the math for the carbs, which takes a step out. I am almost never low, and don't have too many highs, either. I can lower the basal instead of carb loading for exercise. I get to eat when I'm hungry, and don't feel like I have to know exactly what i'm going to eat before I sit down to eat it, because I can always add a piece of fruit or some other snack later. I only have to stick myself with a needle once every three days, and it takes less than 5 minutes to insert/prime and be on my way - as opposed to a minute+ 5+ times/day, and 5+ needle holes in my body!

I think it is really important to know what you're getting yourself into, but I also just wanted to say that for me, the pump has been much less work and a HUGE improvement in my control.