Thinking about a pump

(miley22) #1

so Im thinking about a pump but I dont know if I should get it.Any advice

(mismidge) #2

We love the pump! it gives such freedom. Talk to your doc. check them all out before you deside.

(A-D) #3

miley22,

You were diagnosed recently and I bet you are still in the mode of consuming every bit of information you can get.  I would really focus on carb counting and getting an idea of what your insulin to carb ratios are while you look at different pumps and different options.  If you are not already testing 4 or more times a day, I would try to step it up a bit… It is a pain but getting in that habit ahead of making the change will probably make your life easier. 

All of that said, talk with your endo and see what (s)he would like to see you do ahead of that move. 

Finally, as you get more specific information you will probably have more specific questions… ask them!

I’m looking back at the years you’re looking ahead to so there are ways I may be helpful and probably some in which I can’t relate.  If there is anything I can answer… I will… Best of luck and keep us posted about what your research uncovers and what you decide!

Cheers!

A-D

(dorit tovi) #4

We are also looking into the pump now and a few reps came over to show us their pumps but not sure

which one to go with.

(dorit tovi) #5

Which pump did you choose?

We are in the process of choosing one and not sure which one will be the Best for Daniel my 7 year old son.

(miley22) #6

I havnt chosen one yet and thank you guys for your help

(1980DM) #7

I HAVE HAD A PUMP NOW FOR 2 YEARS AND HAVE MUCH MORE FREEDOM IN WHEN I EAT AND HOW MUCH I EAT BY COUNTING MY CARBS.  I HAD A PERIOD OF LEARNING WHAT MY INSULIN TO CARB RATIOS ARE AND STILL HAVE TO WATCH MY BASAL DOSAGES BUT I GOT MY hgbA1C TO 6.9%.  IT WAS DIFFICULT TO DO WITH LANTUS.  TALK WITH AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST.

(dorit tovi) #8

We decided to go with Medtronic and hopefully we will have it shipped by the end of this month.

I am really looking foward for Daniel to have more freedom when he eats, even though we are on the Lanthus now

and are using ratios and I love it but I know with the pump it will be a different ball game.

(figure skater girl) #9

I`m liking what I read about Animas pumps.

(Sparrow) #10

Here is a good site to compare pumps (I'm not suggesting buying one from this site, but the comparison chart they have is useful):

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models.php

I was on a MiniMed for over 15 years. Excellent pump and excellent company. I switched recently to the Deltec Cozmore pump because I felt it had features that would better fit my lifestyle and would provide me with tighter control.

THAT is the key to choosing the right pump: Compare what's available and what features are offered with each, then pick the one the works best for YOU.