Thoughts on current CGMs

(Mary) #21

Thank you so much for your input. I was not aware that medicare had updated this policy.

(davyboy) #22

Hi,Mary. I don’t understand the second sentence. Are you saying even with the G6 the pump can’t update to closed look when it gets approved?

Also, when do you estimate Medicare will approve the G6 for type 1 diabetics?

Dave

(Mary) #23

No, I was not talking about the closed loop with Tandem 2X. When you do the upgrade with Tandem 2X for the pump, you can only use G6 thereafter. I was told Medicare now approves the G6 Dexcom. So, if you are with Medicare, you should get G6. with your next prescription renewal. As always, you should check the Medicare site for the particulars about being within their parameters to get the new prescription.

(Mary) #24

Dennis,

Have you shared that info with the group?

Mary

(davyboy) #25

One last time, please, to clarify. As I understand from what you said, if I buy the Tandem t:slim2x, then when the closed loop system gets approved for use by FDA, I can get the software update for use in my 2X by your routine download, as long as I am on the g6 CGM at that time?

Dave

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #26

Not exactly Mary @FlasH2b. According to CMS [Medicare], current persons approved for and using Dexcom G5 will be upgraded to the G6 when all service life of the G5 transmitters paid for through CMS has expired. This is posted in detail on both government and company sites.

Davy @davyboy the Tandem updates are more complicated to summarize here but there is much information posted on the Tandem website. There also have been some good explanations of what is expected once approval of the more advanced system by FDA - until approval, there is just “educating guessing”. Also keep in mind that FDA approval does NOT guarantee any actions by CMS.

(Mary) #27

Thanks for clarification !!

Mary

(George) #28

I believe that Medicare just approved the GYM.