To pump or not

On my next appointment with my Endo, I am going to ask for a CGM. but have been debating about going on a pump or not.

I dont want to feel like a super woman robot. (I am already a super woman, I just dont want the robot feeling! :wink:

I already have a fitbit,

I want a CGM (well my fingers really need a CGM, and I want one for easier control)

and the only reasons I would consider a pump are:

• to micro manage (sometimes a whole unit is too much)
  • I want to get back into being (a lot more) physically active than I am now and I know a pump would be useful
  • my lantus does vary during the month, and I think it would help being on the pump
  • know what and when I gave myself insulin

but the feeling of being so connected with all these gadgets, is mentally hanging me down, Think Robot!
Im also thinking sleep time. I’m a light sleeper who either sleeps on her back or her side and thinking this would keep me up.

Am I over-reacting? are my concerns real? is it worth it?
thanks for your input!

(joe) #2

@Emet …not robot… cyborg… totally different.

pumping will not make your diabetes great, nothing about a CGM or a pump or whatever makes it great… it makes things “suck less”. these are the incremental things I’ve seen in 40 years

along with micro management comes the ability to easily correct a 150 mg/dl something you probably wouldn’t do otherwise.

discrete bolus, right at the restaurant with people that you just…don’t…want…to …explain…things…to…

like a great property (location) with a pump it’s basal, basal, basal. having the ability to mimic only what my body needs without overdosing or running high - even when I fly to different cities in different time zones, right there is the big one for me.

you can make anything work with effort. in my head I was also “tied down” to a relentless basal shot (or lack thereof if I forgot). whatever you decide will work best for you.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #3

Loica @Emet, somewhat like you I was deterred from using a pump by MY mental anguish about being tied down and regulated, kept “in-line”. After 47 years using shots with different devices I succumbed to a [MiniMed 515] pump mostly because I wanted 1,500 to 2,000 fewer insulin pokes and found out how wrong my conception of pumping was. I still use “old technology pumps”
but I couldn’t operate now on a background insulin, such as Lantus, with MDI and live the life I do… I call my pump “Freedom”. I just returned from the gym and was able to be free to do whatever having lowered my basal to 50% 45 minutes before my workout - it will stay at 50% for at least 4 hours. Now I could jump on my bike and ride all day without having to have “made Lantus adjustments” two days ago.

I strongly endorse a CGM. This past July I began using a DexCom G5 and I’ve drastically diminished my SD & CV [standard deviation & Coefficient of Variability] while safely nudging up my HbA1c. The best thing about my CGM is that it alerts me when I’m “falling” so I know when to suspend my pump and it wakes me during the night with vibrations so I don’t miss “drops”. After 60+ years living with diabetes I no longer recognize when my BGL is falling.

When sleeping, I keep my pump in the breast pocket of a tee-shirt and find that comfortable; my CGM is on a night-stand a few feet from my head and I hear it vibrate on the hard wood - if I don’t react to the vibration and audible alarm will sound and awaken me - or my wife.

That is exactly why I would like to get on the pump! ^^^

@joe, yes cyborg, thats what I meant! LOL

and that!! ^^^

and that!
V

now THAT is my kid (6 years old)

She is very protective, and every time we are in a restaurant (or at work - I work in her school) and I need to either check or inject, she comes running and blocking people’s view. Very concerned that no one notices me doing it. When I tell her its ok , she looks at me like im the child and said something completely off the wall!

(joe) #5

That is really cute. My son (turning 9) plays with my pump all the time.

(mikefarley) #6

You are probably going to live many more years. A pump might reduce the possibility of long term complications. AND, if you thought you forgot to Bolus, you could look at your pump and find out :slightly_smiling_face:.

(Peter) #7

I like being able to have different basal rates. At 4AM–when my dawn would start–my basal rate increases significantly, which keeps things stable. In the evening, my basal rate is much lower. That alone is worth the price of admission. Having different insulin/carb ratios at different times of day is also helpful. When I exercise, I suspend my basal starting about 20 minutes before I start. I tried decreasing my basal but suspending works for me. YMMV.

I have an omnipod, which I love. I like not having tubes. I look forward to Dexcom and Omnipod working together in a closed system.

(MichelleP) #8

I agree with the other pumpers. I was on shots for 35 years and after having 2 children switched to a pump. A few things to remember:

• you can get tubing in various lengths - so when sleeping you don’t necessarily have to keep the pump right on your person
  • you run your schedule not the insulin. Skip a meal, eat late, exercise when you want, etc.
    You’re only changing the infusion site every 3 days so fewer skin pricks and finger sticks
    It did take me a good 6 months to get use to wearing a pump but now it’s just there. There can be a lot of alarms so be prepared for that but you’ll have so much more control over your glucose levels which is mentally freeing.

(Ami-one) #9

I love my omnipod. Read my posts lol and you’ll see why. 27 years - mostly shots. Found a fantastic ending who was known as an awesome pump md. Did shots for a few more years. I’ve aleays had difficulty controlling my diabetes due to changing hormone levels. I was at 12 shots a day - She said to me one day, would you like to try a pump ie something else to do the math I was doing all-day long. I was finally ready (several years after I found my endo). Started with Medtronic due to insurance-switched to omnipod plus Dexcom cgm - love it! I don’t like wires and tubes, so omnipod’s tubeless pods were the perfect choice!