Tragic Situations

(whatruhere4) #1

when i was in junior high we had a bomb scare it was two or three months before columbine and i wondered if i was in a situation like that where i was stuck being a hostage what would happen with my blood sugar, how would i deal with it? when the bomb scare happened the whole school was evacuated and i ended up passing out from the stress and a high blood sugar. it was in the 300's. what would you do or what could you do?

(Anonymous) #2

First of all, stay calm. Sounds cliché, but no matter the situation and no matter if you're diabetic or not, the situation often tends to get worse when people begin to panic :) And especially since you are diabetic, if you panic, it's likely you'd go high (as you did), and we all know how difficult it is to think straight during those. Probably not the best mix - confused, high diabetic + potentially dangerous and/or threatening situation = even worse potentially dangerous and/or threatening situation :)

Second of all, you could head off the nerves with a bit of insulin and water. Of course, check your bg before you do so, and if you are in a position where you have no access to your supplies, you probably shouldn't. That could end in a confused, low, possibly unconscious diabetic. Or, what I like to do, sit down with a little snack and some insulin.

It's probably best, I would think, to try to leave the situation if you feel you're going to end up too high/low and passing out. IE call someone to pick you up if they say you can leave, or at minimum explain your situation to someone else and see what they can do to help you.

Not sure if you find this helpful, although you hopefully do :)

BGs during stressful situations are actually pretty interesting to watch with CGMs. I had mine on when watching an Indiana Jones movie… it was hilarious, the graph of my blood sugars over the past couple of hours when it was over. There were these huge spikes and drops everywhere. You could definitely pick out the more adrenaline-prone scenes based off it :)

(JamesChambers) #3

There was a school last year at my son's school.  The school was evacuated and the kids had to walk about 6 blocks to a local church to get out of the cold.  No jackets or shoes for most of the kids...it was 36 degrees below.

They couldn't get back to Beemer's class to get his test kit, but one of the teachers did think to grab an emergency snack out of the office before leaving and they watched him for signs.

I think, as posted above, you do have to remain as calm as possible whenever an emergency occurs, know that you do the best you can to look after yourself and - hopefully - someone is watching over you.

Cheers,

(misstifyde) #4

This same event occurred at my sons school. Evacuated and no kit or food. I just happened to be driving past the school at the time and flagged down an office person.

My son of course was fine and oblivious, but the school had procedures for one teacher to grab an emergency medical kit (which includes D supplies) for such an event, and they failed miserably.

Yes remaining calm is the obvious best thing to do, but make sure you have a "buddy" with you at all times in the event you do have an issue. Even when evactuated, the teachers may not know what every child is doing.

When I went to get my son, they weren't sure what pod of people he was in, so I had to search.