Tylenol and dexcom! help

(nicky81) #21

My dexcom is always off on my sugars levels there’s been many times the number gaps to diff I don’t trust it at all to the point I no longer use it. I’ve been wearing it with the Medtronic since January haven’t been in DKE in over 10 years since January 3 times so me personally I would never trust it on a child. Doctors get paid to sell this stuff but we can not trust our disease solely on electronics they fail us to easy. They still have a lot of kinks to work out and honestly why do we need a sugar check every 5 minutes?

(jasontanner) #22

To be clear, there are generally 3 types of pain reliever/fever reducer - acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and aspirin. Acetaminophen is KNOWN to affect BG READINGS on the G5. All of these have store brands, but the most common brands are Tylenol for acetaminophen, Motrin for ibuprofen, and Bayer for aspirin.

We have the G6 now, but don’t bother with acetaminophen anymore anyway. It’s just as easy to just use ibuprofen, so that’s what we do.

(Abby) #23

I would respectfully disagree @nicky81 --I’m sorry that you’ve had a bad experience with Dexcom, and I definitely agree that they are far from perfect, but my CGM has been an absolute life-changer. I’ve lost count of how many times it’s saved my life by alerting me to a low blood sugar when I couldn’t sense it. Plus, being able to see the trends and arrows makes it so much easier to adjust my insulin doses and my A1C has been much better as a result. Obviously it’s not right for everyone but I don’t think it’s good to discourage people from using it–some, myself included, find it extremely beneficial.

(nicky81) #24

I’m not discouraging anyone but I do think most everyone on here stays positive and that’s not always true so me sharing my mishaps with people asking questions is not discouraging it’s being honest! Sorry my truth bothered you not what I was trying to do but as a mother being type1 and also having a child that is type1 people need to hear the bad with the good also.

(Jessica) #25

I agree, as a mother of a 5 year old type 1, the every 5 minute checking puts my mind at ease. I appreciate the alerts both high and lows and the arrow trend makes predicting with his activity a little easier. It’s unfortunate that there are bad experiences, but I would also like to point out, I work for a physician who deals with insulin pumps and DME every day…they most definitely do NOT “get paid to sell that stuff” if that’s the case, you are going to the wrong Dr.