Type 1 Diabetes: Statistics

(Anonymous) #1

Anyone know the rate of type 1 diabetes? IE 'blank out of blank number of people are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes'?

(A-D) #2

Alyssa,

According to the information I found on the JDRF website:

The Scope of Diabetes

Nearly 24 million Americans have diabetes (7.8 percent of the population):
     Diagnosed: 17.9 million
     Undiagnosed: 5.7 million

As many as 3 million Americans may have type 1 diabetes.

Now, this just relates to U.S. rates of dx - but... I guess we can infer that .975 percent of the population are T1's...  I'll be really interested to see if anyone has better numbers!

Cheers!

A-D

(Joey M) #3

Type 1 diabetes: your child's risk

In general, if you are a man with type 1 diabetes, the odds of your child getting diabetes are 1 in 17.  If you are a woman with type 1 diabetes and your child was born before you were 25, your child's risk is 1 in 25; if your child was born after you turned 25, your child's risk is 1 in 100.

Your child's risk is doubled if you developed diabetes before age 11.  If both you and your partner have type 1 diabetes, the risk is between 1 in 10 and 1 in 4.

There is an exception to these numbers.  About 1 in every 7 people with type 1 diabetes has a condition called type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome.

In addition to having diabetes, these people also have thyroid disease and a poorly working adrenal gland.  Some also have other immune system disorders. If you have this syndrome, your child's risk of getting the syndrome including type 1 diabetes is 1 in 2.

Researchers are learning how to predict a person's odds of getting diabetes.  For example, most whites with type 1 diabetes have genes called HLA-DR3 or HLA-DR4.

If you and your child are white and share these genes, your child's risk is higher.  (Suspect genes in other ethnic groups are less well studied. The HLA-DR7 gene may put African Americans at risk, and the HLA-DR9 gene may put Japanese at risk.)

Other tests can also make your child's risk clearer.  A special test that tells how the body responds to glucose can tell which school-aged children are most at risk.

Another more expensive test can be done for children who have siblings with type 1 diabetes.  This test measures antibodies to insulin, to islet cells in the pancreas, or to an enzyme called glutamic acid decarboxylase.  High levels can indicate that a child has a higher risk of developing type 1 diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.org/genetics.jsp

Hope this helps!

(JamesChambers) #4

We were told that in Canada the odds are 1 in 800 people.  If you have a sibling or parent with T1, your odds are 1 in 80.

(Grahamkracker) #5

At the Young Voices event, they said that 90% of all T1's  do not have a fmaily history of Diabetes..... I know there is no history in my family.... I guess I'm the black sheep LOL!

(2Sweet4U) #6

me too! i'm the first in my family that we know of.

(Julia1982) #7

Me too. there is no family history of t1 in my family at all.

(Keely) #8

There's no history of Type 1 diabetes in my family either, but my sister had another autoimmune disease, which she had surgery for and is now in remission from.

I kind of wonder now though... I guess one of my great uncles had some serious problems with diabetes later in life. But, other than him, we don't really have a history of Type 2 diabetes in my family either. I wonder if he was misdiagnosed, and actually developed Type 1 at a later age? (I think somebody mentioned on another thread that it's known as LADA?) Considering that I was 33 myself when diagnosed...

(Dylan404) #9

Hey James I'm just curios where you heard the stat 1 in 80? Are you saying If I (T1) had a child the odds would be 1/80 that it gets T1?

(JamesChambers) #10

Yes, that's what I understand from our clinic, there's a 10x factor for 1st degree relations.

It's still pretty good odds to not get diabetes, and I would never suggest that anyone that has T1 avoids having kids or that anyone with a T1 child stops having kids for that reason.

In fact, if you have a child who does not develop Type 1 then their kids are not 1st degree...so they're back to the 1 in 800 odds.

Cheers,

(ScrappyDy) #11

I can't remember where, but I read an article that said T1 is hardly hereditery, but you are more likely to be diagnosed with it from a traumatic event than having it passed down to you.  Which, makes sense in my case b/c there is no history of diabetes in my family and yet I was diagnosed at age 17 after my parents moved me from the Bay Area of CA to a small town in Louisiana where I was the only Asian in my highschool and no one knew if I was "black", "white", or "mixed" (seriously).  So, you can imagine the trauma I went through coming from such a diverse city to an ignorant town.