Type 1 Diagnosed at a later age

(Kathleen) #101

Thank you for your encouraging words. In the last six months I have started questioning why certain medications were prescribed. Fortunately I was taken off Metformin and I feel so much better. I also believe the new 670G has a lot to do with the feeling like a whole person. We battled at first but after Metronic sent me a new transmitter it’s been heaven.

You had a lot on your plate but succeeded! Congrats!! You have an amazing story. Thank you for reaching out. Stay in touch please.

Kathy

(Carrie) #102

Just diagnosed in December, I’m 44. I lost 20 pounds in about a month and a half and ate everything I wanted. (Every girl’s dream come true) I also craved sugary icee drinks. I had dry mouth, constant thirst and frequent urination. I also couldnt see to save my own life. When I was diagnosed, my BS was 363 and my A1c was almost 16. I was immediately put on insulin and Metformin. For the next couple of weeks I was getting super high BS readings and my eyesight was total trash. I was up to almost 600 BS readings. I look back now and think about the things I had said and done and am pretty sure I was in DKA.

I found an awesome Endo and am in the process of getting the pump in the next couple of weeks. Typical of me, I now want to change the world and find a cure. In the meantime, I want to talk and be around others like me.

(Cheri) #103

Hello, I’m 46 and was diagnosed at age 30 with T1 following the birth of my daughter. I initially had gestational diabetes and then lost weight after having my daughter. I was rapidly loosing weight and eating anything that I wanted too. After loosing more than 40lbs, I was tested and sent to the Endo to find out that I hade type 1. It was devastating at the time. This a great blog to help you realize you are not the only one later in life with this diagnosis.

(Dennis J. Dacey, pwD) #104

Hi Cheri @cherip91 congratulations on the birth of your daughter and a Warm Welcome to TypeOneNation Forum!

No, you are not alone living with T1D and I hope you find support and encouragement on this forum in addition to helpful suggestions. And being diagnosed “later in life” is not unusual - more than 50% of people newly diagnosed with TypeOne are adult.