Type 1 Diagnosed at a later age

(Kathleen) #101

Thank you for your encouraging words. In the last six months I have started questioning why certain medications were prescribed. Fortunately I was taken off Metformin and I feel so much better. I also believe the new 670G has a lot to do with the feeling like a whole person. We battled at first but after Metronic sent me a new transmitter it’s been heaven.

You had a lot on your plate but succeeded! Congrats!! You have an amazing story. Thank you for reaching out. Stay in touch please.

Kathy

1 Like
(Carrie) #102

Just diagnosed in December, I’m 44. I lost 20 pounds in about a month and a half and ate everything I wanted. (Every girl’s dream come true) I also craved sugary icee drinks. I had dry mouth, constant thirst and frequent urination. I also couldnt see to save my own life. When I was diagnosed, my BS was 363 and my A1c was almost 16. I was immediately put on insulin and Metformin. For the next couple of weeks I was getting super high BS readings and my eyesight was total trash. I was up to almost 600 BS readings. I look back now and think about the things I had said and done and am pretty sure I was in DKA.

I found an awesome Endo and am in the process of getting the pump in the next couple of weeks. Typical of me, I now want to change the world and find a cure. In the meantime, I want to talk and be around others like me.

2 Likes
(Cheri) #103

Hello, I’m 46 and was diagnosed at age 30 with T1 following the birth of my daughter. I initially had gestational diabetes and then lost weight after having my daughter. I was rapidly loosing weight and eating anything that I wanted too. After loosing more than 40lbs, I was tested and sent to the Endo to find out that I hade type 1. It was devastating at the time. This a great blog to help you realize you are not the only one later in life with this diagnosis.

2 Likes
(Dennis J. Dacey, pwD) #104

Hi Cheri @cherip91 congratulations on the birth of your daughter and a Warm Welcome to TypeOneNation Forum!

No, you are not alone living with T1D and I hope you find support and encouragement on this forum in addition to helpful suggestions. And being diagnosed “later in life” is not unusual - more than 50% of people newly diagnosed with TypeOne are adult.

(Melissa) #105

Diagnosed at 59 yrs and 3 months

(Kathleen) #106

Hi Melissa! Thanks for responding. Most postings I had seen were for children. When I asked for late bloomers I was surprised at the response. It’s nice to know that we are not alone in this battle and can share our ups and downs (highs and lows). I know I worry that one of my granddaughters will be a Type 1. Neither of my children are at this point. No relative before me was a Type 1. I guess it has to start somewhere.

Please keep in touch! Kathy

(Dassy) #107

Thank you all for the great information in this post. I retired at the end of January 2018 and was diagnosed in July and 55 years old. My plan was to travel overseas during my retirement. Over the last nine months I’ve done many domestic flights but have been afraid to travel overseas. I’m leaving to Copenhagen at the end of June and I’m a little nervous. All of the info in here help me a lot!

1 Like
(NANCY) #108

70 originally assumed I was type 2. Saw an Endo at 76, when options weren’t working& found out I was type 1

(Jaime) #109

LADA dx at 36. Incorrect diagnosis of t2 for a year and a half before hand. I’m 37 now.