Type twos can now have pumps

(music_lover) #1

i am a type one but my grandfather is a type two and is now taking shots,

also they are now saying that type two's are eligible for pumps that there finding that there pancreas works as much as type ones which is not at all .

whats up with this?

it use to be type two ppl and type one ppl had completely different ways of taking care of themselves.

hmmmm..

i wish they would do some more research for type ones.

(Anonymous) #2

I might get a lot of heat for this, but here it goes. I believe that by giving type 2's pumps Doctors are just validating type 2's un healthy lifestyle choices.

(since030993) #3

Type 2 is considered a progressive disease with insulin resistance leading to an over-worked pancreas.  When the pancreas gets overworked (as with any body organ) function and effectivness decreases over time, leading to the requirement of insulin which can be via shots (multiple daily injections-MDI) or the pump.

A few links to back me up:

http://www.diabetes.org/type-2-diabetes.jsp

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/type-2-diabetes/DS00585

http://dvd.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/8/2_suppl/S3

http://www.cmeondiabetes.us/pub/insulin.resistance.php

You can find more information here.

(cdavid1) #4

Most of the time people with Type 2 can control it, or even make it go away by eating right, exercising and watching their blood sugar. 

Type 1 is a lot more serious since we don't have the ability to make it go away.

(Savs) #5

HappyVegan, I totally agree.

I also think by giving type 2's the pump, its going to add to the confusion about whats different about T1 and T2 |:

GRRRRR. This frustrates me.

(JazzyJane) #6

It frustrates me as well. 

In my opinion, it may also make it more of an issue with insurance carriers and what they do and don't cover for those of us with type 1.  There are still people out there that struggle to get their pump supplies covered...now the medical community is going to pile type 2 patients into the mix and make it more expensive for the insurance carriers...they aren't going to like it at all. 

Many times, type 2's can control simply by becoming more active and changing their lifestyle.  I saw a news program some time ago indicating that there are so many more children being diagnosed with type 2 because of their lack of activity and bad eating habits.  We already know about the importance of eating right and exercise...but it's not stressed to these young people.  And then everyone wonders why the tremendous increase in type 2 patients.

It is really a shame, too because I know that my endo is extremely busy...the practice has something like 5,000 patients. They have gotten in the habit of sending the type 2 patients back to their primary care doctor once they are in control and have received appropriate education because they feel the type 1 patients demand more of their time and attention.  That says something right there.  In fact, this office actually has several nurse practitioners that see the majority of the type 2 patients for any necessary follow-up care once they have seen the doctor.  It's all in an effort to save time for the more complicated, more time-consuming type 1 patients.  I'm thrilled that the office is being run that way...I appreciate the fact that my CDE spends time with me going over my pump issues and my questions when I need her.  This is all part of my treatment plan and it's great that they are giving me the time I need.

And it is going to cause more confusion for everyone about the two types of diabetes.  They are both equally as serious because they can both result in complications when not managed, but the two diseases are also VERY different and we all know that.

(music_lover) #7

i most deff. agree with all of you guys.

happyvegan- it is going to cause them to eat more unhealthy and more people wont care cause they will now know that there are pumps out and can eat w.e pretty much and wont care as much then the obesity rate of the U.S will more then likely go up.

courtney- type one is more serious for many reasons, it strikes childeren at young ages, its more dangerous, it cant be controlled as much as type two either.

savs- yes there will be a lot of more confusion with type ones and type twos. people will now think that its both the same since both types are treated the same. its not right people should be educated the right way about this stuff.

jazzyjane-i most deff. strongly agree with you!

it will cause insurance to go up for the type ones and most type ones are childeren who want there normal life back! and the insurance companies wont give it all. now we'll really have to fight for pumps. its just not right at all.

overall, i dont think its right at all. we didnt bring this onto ourselves it just happened to us. im not saying that all type twos are overweight but most are. although some get it from genetics. also some just get it at old age. but think of the childeren with type one who because of the type twos now having pumps its going to be harder to get insurance for type ones and the childeren with type one wont be able to enjoy there favorite kind of food.. junkfood. its sad, frustrating, and not right. and from what you guys are talk'n you agree with me. 

(poodlebone) #8

More & more Type 2s are using pumps.  For many of them I'm not sure if I see the point.  SOme have such high insulin resistance and take huge amounts of insulin daily.  The biggest pump reservoir is 315 units (Accu-Chek Spirit) and for some that's only enough for a day or so.  If your resistance is that high I don't see why you would need the ability to micromanage your doses.  It also gets to be extremely expensive because they have to change reservoirs & sets far more often than the typical 3 days.

(music_lover) #9

liz- yes most deff. agree.

i know a type two who takes fifty units a day

(jenniferpritchard) #10

I hope I don't get any heat for this, but I really  do not agree with any of the comments posted. 

Why should type 2's not be allowed to get pumps just because some of the people with Type 2 had poor eating habits that got them to where they are?  Not all of them did.  I am personal friends with quite a few T2's that are skinny! 

I don't think its fair to say that they should not be on pumps because they are T2.  I have had such better control since being on the pump, why should that be deprived from someone that has t2??

I understand the being on a lot on insulin and it not fitting in the pump, but obviously that patient would not be a candidate for a pump. I met a Type 1 once that had insulin resistance and therefore could not be on the pump. 

What is wrong with being on 50 units of insulin? That is not THAT much insulin. My pump holds 300 units so if I took 50 units it would not be bad.

I don't think its fair to say that a person with diabetes should not be on a pump.

(Savs) #11

Jenny,

I don't think we mean ANYONE with type 2 can't be on the pump, just the "out of countrol" ones.

Obviously, if someone has type 2 and needs insulin, the pump should be something they consider, especially if it would help them.

HOWEVER, if they need 50 units per meal, due to insulin resistance or whatever, I don't see a pump being beneficial to them.

(jenniferpritchard) #12

[quote user="Savs"]

Jenny,

I don't think we mean ANYONE with type 2 can't be on the pump, just the "out of countrol" ones.

Obviously, if someone has type 2 and needs insulin, the pump should be something they consider, especially if it would help them.

HOWEVER, if they need 50 units per meal, due to insulin resistance or whatever, I don't see a pump being beneficial to them.

[/quote]

Ok i understand a little where you are coming from, but what about the 'out of control' type ones?  Should they/we not be allowed on pumps because our diabetes has taken a back seat? I was denied the insulin pump for years because I was 'not in control enough' It sucked.

I agree with the second statement that you said, if someone is t2 and needs insulin they pump should be something they consider.  That is pretty much how it is for us type 1's!!

The person that posted above me (sorry I am out of the screen right now) said that they knew someone that took 50 units a day and thats what I was referring to when I said what was wrong with 50 units a day.  50 units a meal and 50 units a day are very different things.

(Savs) #13

I too was denied a pump for a while too due to "out of control diabetes" it really just made me want to take care of it so I could get one.

Yea, I take between 40 and 50 units a day.

(poodlebone) #14

[quote user="Jenny"]The person that posted above me (sorry I am out of the screen right now) said that they knew someone that took 50 units a day and thats what I was referring to when I said what was wrong with 50 units a day.  50 units a meal and 50 units a day are very different things. [/quote]

I was confused by the "50 units a day" comment too, but she meant to say 50 units per meal.  On another forum there's a T2 on a pump who honestly, I don't think should have one.  He's stated that he had better control on injections and constantly complains about how often he has to change stuff out and how long it takes to bolus (Minimed) and how he has to set multiple boluses because the maximum amount is 25 units.  Why does he have a pump?  For some it seems as if they're trying to "pass" themselves off as Type 1, if that makes sense.  Like, if they're on a pump it means they insulin dependent/Type 1 and therefore not at fault.  I know many people are confused about that and I've read countless comments from T2s who were put on insulin and then claim they're now T1.

Anyway, with a Minimed pump it can take him an HOUR  to deliver a meal bolus.  From what he's said he does not limit anything he eats in any way.  He just constantly complains about how slow the pump is and how he has to bolus multiple times per meal.  People have suggested U-500 insulin to him but he says that takes too long to work and he doesn't want to wait 40 minutes before he eats.  To me, that's the person who should not be pumping.  There are other T2s who stick to a low(er) carb diet and have drastically reduced their insulin needs with a pump.  I think that if they're willing to do the work AND the pump actually provides a proven benefit then there's no reason not to pump.  For people who want it because they feel guilty about being a Type 2 or just want a new toy I think it's a waste.

(Calotype) #15

I do agree with you to an extent Liz. :)

I've been on other forums and have seen where type twos who have given indications through discussion that a change in diet and exercise would do them more good then a pump or insulin would, but seemed determined to move onto the next step. I guess because they might think that if they are on insulin then somehow the disease manifested through no fault of their own like with type ones. 

There is a stigma about type two - that it is always your fault. And many, whether that fits them or not, hate to think that mismanagement of their health might have landed them where they are and nothing else. It's a hard concept for people, I think. Since becoming an adult I have gotten frustrated with people implying that I may have brought diabetes on myself, which is why I always say "I have type ONE diabetes" when I talk about it. I can kind of get where they are coming from.

There are few type twos who actually need the pump and I do hope they are able to get access to it. Sadly there are lots of type twos who catch wind of this and think that because it worked for a person in a small percentage of the type two-verse then it would work for them. :-p

(music_lover) #16

jenny- i am not going to get mad over your opinion because everyone is entitled to the right of there own opinion. this is what this site is for. so im going to state mine...

i agree if the type two person is in control and does the best they can, but still has out of control  bs's they should most deff. have the pump.

but if the type two is overweight, will take advantage of eating w.e with the pump, does his/her best to keep it leveled out, and if a1c's are fine then maybe second thoughts should be considered. 

because think about it.. most type ones are young childeren who want there life back of eating all "junkfood" because thats what kids do and then they go and pllay and work it all off. also when they go outside to play they wouldnt have to worry about going low because the doctor could set a prof. for them so they would get less insulin depending on the activity rate which with kids is usually pretty high. i just hope prices on the pumps dont go up for those childeren, and i hope insurance companies think about the kids. and also other type ones as well. do you remember shots? we were taking insulin and still had high numbers type two diabetes(most) only take pills to "trigger" there pancreas to make insulin and they still have pretty good numbers. at least my grandfather does and im sure there are others out there who have the same. but again thats only half im sure, the other half who try there best to control it but still get nowhere should most deff. get pumps.

(music_lover) #17

i agree a 100% with you liz.

type one diabetecs and type twos are completely different! they never know when there pancres is going to spit out some insulin for them. thats why they take the pills. 

(music_lover) #18

exactly like i said if they excersice, diet well i said try to take control of it and there numbers are fine then they dont need one.

people need to understand the difference between type ones and type twos. everyone doesnt now and now there making treatments the same for both. its completely different i cant say that enough.  type twos need more insulin at once because of the different way there pancreas works from the type ones. 

(Calotype) #19

Music_Lover - Unfortunately people are not going to recognize what type of diabetes you have based on your medication and/or dosing methods. Most people are uneducated not only about type two diabetes but about type one as well. Type ones make up a small portion of the population. The only thing that can truly clear up the confusion about the different types is education. :) I always make a point to clear up confusion or explain the differences between the two when I am asked about my disease. Only those who are close to a type one person are going to understand what you are and what you are going through...and they are going to know that through education.

That being said, I do believe that the process for a type two to get a pump is pretty rough. They do have to prove to the pump manufactuer that they are in need of the device. I think that the guidelines that doctors and manufactuers use now might need some tweaking to prevent those who are like the type two in Liz's example from getting on, but other then that it can be pretty hard. I think they have to submit tests and have a doctor sign off on it? Something like that. :)

I do hope that pumps go to people who are really in need of them and not just people who think it would be easier then diet and exercise.

(music_lover) #20

lauren- sadly what you said about the education of people is very true. i only wish people would take this more seriously. ya know? but then again, cancer is more serious and people dont know all that much about it. only the different types such as breast, colon,prostate,and so on...   the sad thing is with diabetes hardly anyone but family, and friends of type ones understand the differences. not even type two's or family, and friends of type two's know the difference. i guess were going to have to just try our best to get the word out on this. why? because its undertaking a lot more people then we think. the rates of this disease is going up. i just feel so .. helpless.