Un-tethered Regimen

(Trevor) #1

A very interesting article I came across regarding using both injected and pump-based insulin to add freedom to diabetic lifestyle. This is particularly interesting to me as I've long since avoided having a pump due to some of the failings itemized in this article.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/clinic/untethered.htm

(OmniUser) #2

Now this could come in handy for many diabetics..

(trace775) #3

My daughter has had diabetes for a little over a year, last visit they said we'll talk about getting her on a pump next time.  I am very worried and don't think I want to switch to it.  her sugars have been well controlled I'm afraid to change things and have to start over.  Some issues I've been reading are scary.  She's still small and shes doing well.  She said she'd like to try it but i'm nervous.

(trace775) #4

I think the article above might work better for us I'll have to mention it.Thanks for postin it

(amyl1027) #5

I've been diabetic for 34 years and have been taking injections for most of that time.  I was a bit skeptical of switching over to the pump for quite a while.  However, I finally did a few weeks ago.  I am using the Omnipod.  The other pump that I would have gone with is the Animas One Touch Ping.  I've done a great deal of research on both pumps, but I like the Omnipod because of the lack of tubes and wires.  Right now, I'm still ironing out the beginning issues that starting on any pump has; but I am so happy that I did finally decide to use a pump.  I feel a bit more "normal" now.

(katie.clark) #6

That is interesting.  Although I'm a 99.9% of the time pump wearer (the daily disconnects are shower and swimming in the summer months), there are occastions that I have gone untethered for mostly fashion purposes.  And by fashion, I mean I'm wearing a dress, no nylons, and I just can't seem to figure out the whole "in the bra" thing.  So I put the pump in my purse, and every two hours, go to place I can connect, give insulin for basal rate I will miss in the next two hours and for food.  It's not perfect, but it works for that one or two nights a year I have an issue - it tends to be those summer weddings. ;-)  

I also knew a mom of a toddler (age two, I think) who had a pump and did the untethered thing.  She gave a lantus shot at night, but then during the day, just connected pump when he needed the carb coverage or a BG fix.   It worked for that family and an active toddler who may or may not eat all day long.

(soccergirl) #7

I pump untethered. We chose to do this because I disconnect frequently for long periods for sports and work. I take 12 Lantus and 13.1 basal through the pump.

(LindaFernandez) #8

One of our teens does this with 50% of her basal.  She disconnects for soccer and lacrosse tournaments and maintains her BG's.  She's been managing her diabetes like this for over a year.  Our Endo in ATL also does this with patients.  It makes a lot of sense if you understand it.