Waiting period for a pump?

(hfbernard) #1

My 11 year old son was diagnosed in December of 08 with Type 1 - he's been using syringes and an insulin pen. We've just discovered the Omnipod pump and he really wants to try it - however the team at the diabetes clinic we attend prefers that patients wait a year after diagnosis to start with a pump - and they only hold training sessions in the spring and fall - so the earliest he could get started is this fall. I'm struggling to figure out if they have good medical reason for doing it this way - or if this scheduling issue is just for their own convenience. I don't know if this is a situation for acceptance or advocacy - but my heart hurts to think of my son waiting for a pump for no good reason. Please let me know your thoughts and give me some guidence on what will be best for him. Thanks for being there! -Heather

(joe) #2

Heather,

Diabetes is overwhelming.  The only reason to wait is for your son, and you (I assume you are the prime person caring for his diabetes) to get accustomed to: the end of the honeymoon period, variable bolus ratios, testing, carb counting, mixed meal bolusing, activity versus carbs and activity and reduced insulin to control blood sugar.

These things, plus learning new technology, may be too much for most people, and that's why the clinic wants a waiting period.

Truth be told if you are now an expert in MDI, you can easily learn pump programming, mutilple basal rates and transition to a pump with no problems.   If you desire a pump now, you can contact the manufacturers, who will work with your insurance company, and who offer their own training.    I would ONLY attend training from the manufacturer, not from my endocrinologist or other non-manufacturer trainers like you might find at a clinic.

I stronlgy urge you to purchase "Pumping Insulin", by John Walsh and Ruth Roberts.  amazon link here:  http://www.amazon.com/Pumping-Insulin-Everything-Success-Smart/dp/1884804861/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245372937&sr=8-1

I was on MDI for 29 years before switching to a pump, 3 years ago.

(Nads) #3

I found that this book, Smart Pumping for people with Diabetes, was both informative and interesting to read.  It wasn't just a dry, matter-of-fact type of book and it covered pretty much all the aspects of insulin pump therapy...   

(figure skater girl) #4

waiting a year to get a pump is crazy. with my endocrinologist, that was apparently how it used to be but i started looking into a pump just months after being diagnosed. i  actualy was ableto start using 6 months after being diagnosed. when first finding out about diabetes, you have to absorb a lot of information, but after a few months, you know it all by heart. while you research the pumps, you learn a lot of the features and how to use it... so when you go for training, its all review. another thing that helps, is that your son is interested in it, so he will be willing to learn and that will make it so much easier.

like i said before, i started using the pump 6 months after being diagnosed, and even that wasnt fast enough for me. im doing great on the pump and have had great a1c tests.

if the doctors still wont let him get the pump, even with all of the reasons supporting him getting it, i could write a letter for you to print off and give to them explaining how much the pump has helped me and how similar our situations are.