Wake up call

(meme) #1

Did you ever get a wake up call that made you take better control of diabetes. Or from day one, always stayed on course ?

(kbuckleync) #2

Yes, I moved to a new state soon after getting married, and I was determined to start going to the doctor on a regular basis.  I was hoping to one day have children, so I wan't to be ready when the time came.  Luckily it all worked out as planned!

(Alayna Strickland) #3

meme,

Recently there were some "background retinopathy" found in both of my eyes. Two in each to be exact. Oh man! That did it! My blood sugars had been so out of whack for the last I'd say, 1 1/2 years due to alot of things going on in my life. I made it a point to ALWAYS, ALWAYS take care of myself from this point on, everything else can wait! I just went back to the "eye dr." and they examined my eyes and the two spots in each eye had healed. I had really worked hard at getting my BS back under control. I'm so glad I did, I feel better too. Did you have an instance where you had a wake up call?

(meme) #4

Alayna, It sounds like you are doing a really good job . Now to answer your Question, I am a mom of a teen and I wish I could be a stonger mom. The truth is I worry,I stress,and fear rules anytime anything goes wrong.If my daughter gets sick with a stomach virus,starts throwing up.I try not to show it but panic takes over inside.It's like a flash back to when this first happened,with DKA,ambulance ride,Intinsive care.I am bawling just writting this. Before this came into our lives I could handle this with ease.This has changed me forever,crushed me.I am thankful to Juvination because I hold things in way too long.I can read about others here and it does help. Now,I'm going to post this before I change my mind.

(red) #5

Meme,

We all get that "wake up call" upon diagnosis. Suddenly we have to be mindful of things we took for granted before. Then we get MORE wake up calls. The first really bad low. The blood sugar high you can't get down no matter what. The appearance of longer term complications. And despite all these wake up calls it's easy to lapse a few times since all we want is the normalcy that others without diabetes in their lives have. How can **anyone** possibly stay on course from day 1?

1.) It's a crushing burden, and it's one that none of us asked for. But what you can do is keep fighting every day. Just do the best you can - because that's all you CAN do.

2.) Don't let the numbing fear of long term complications paralyze you from what you have to do every day. We all live with fear and panic on a daily basis, but I'll bet that you routinely exhibit a full measure of bravery to plow through those fears on a daily basis. Stay brave.

3.) It gets exhaustive, and it's easy to want to give up. Don't. Don't let diabetes win. You're stronger than that, and it's a marathon not a sprint. You'll have set backs but if you kep plodding along you'll be able to look back on the progress you've made despite this disease.

4.) Stay hopeful. Your bravery will pay off.

I wonder if you're asking how I can DARE to say these things to you (and anyone else reaing this) with such certainty and without ever having met you face to face. It's easy. I have NEVER met anyone more brave, more determined or stronger than a mom who cares for a child with Tpe 1 diabetes. You inspire me, our kids and others through your arduous fight.

(meme) #6

Red, your words give me strenght. I cried,got mad at myself for letting down my guard,wishing again I could remove a post.But now I feel better.That hidden fear has been brought out into light. I feel stronger and ready to start back on a positive path. Thank you that you took the time to redirect my thoughts.

(Doug D) #7

Hi Meme - I don't know if it was a wake up call or just better support.  After trying my 3rd endo after moving to LA, I finally didn't feel 'diabetic guilt' anymore.  for 25 or so years I had some good docs but none like the one I found.  She didn't make me feel guilty for being high or low - it was going to happen.  She was encouraging and said 'hey it's okay' lets adjust this or that and see how we do.  It was always we.  She was/is  involved in my fight.  Because of her, I wanted to be better - healthier.  If I e-mail her with a question, I either get a call back or email that day or if she's out of town lecturing or something, the PA/CDE calls me.  I'm never alone.  I haven't had that kind of suport until now.    To echo what Red mentioned - you are inspiring and bring a smile to my face when you are on line here.  To educated yourself for your child and be out here helping others is a testiment to how good a mom you are.  I wish I could say my parents would have been on line like this when I was young (no internet back then), but I don't think they would have put the effort out.  Don't get me wrong, I did not want for the latest and greatest because they gave me what I needed but you go the extra mile.  Be well.

(poodlebone) #8

I went into denial right after diagnosis.  I tried to do things right for a short time and then gave up.  Not having insurance was part of the problem.  After 11 years of denial and doing the bare minimum required to stay alive (two injections a day) I got insurance, waited out the pre-existing condition clause and went to a doctor.  My A1c was 15.x (15.7? Not sure) and I knew that was really bad.  I started to test several times a day even though my insurance covered no diabetes supplies and no prescriptions.  I eventually went to 3 injections a day and then MDI.  Eventually I became hypo unaware, started passing out and having seizures.  This whole time I only saw primary care doctors.   4 1/2 years ago a friend at work stood behind me while I looked up an endo on our insurance web site and called to make an appointment.  I think that was my big turning point, knowing I couldn't figure it all out myself and that I needed professional help. 

(kbuckleync) #9

I've noticed that sometimes just saying something out loud to another human being, or in this case writing, helps immensely in relieving whatever fear it is you have.  Or it at least takes the weight of it off your shoulders when you have someone else to confide in or to talk things over with.

So keep emailing!

(orange_mms) #10

I had my wake up call this past Jan., I had a mini stroke @ age 30.

(kbuckleync) #11

OMG - was the stroke caused by the diabetes!?

(orange_mms) #12

Kristen,

Yes, it was caused by my diabetes. The neurologists said that my cholesterol and blood pressure even just slightly elevated (by a few points) also could've contributed to it. The information I had read said if you are a long term diabetic and between 21 and 41 years old puts you in a high risk group to suffer from stroke, TIA(mini stroke) and heart attack. I asked the doctor if this information was true and she told me yes. I am 30 and have been diabetic for 25 yrs, so I personally believe what I read a while back is true. I have been instructed to take an 81mg aspirin daily and watch BS levels very closely. Here's my story (click link) http://juvenation.org/forums/p/1443/9949.aspx#9949  . It was very scary for me !! I don't want to scare anyone this is my personal story and hopefully it can give awareness to others.

One thing that does worry me though is statistics show if you've had a mini stroke the chance of reoccurrances are common. It is likely, but not guaranteed you can have another stroke (full blown or mini) within 6 months to a year following the first. I have been a nervous wreck as I am nearing the 6 month mark since it happened. I have a follow up appointment in July with my neurologist. I have only one left over symptom, my left arm is numb everyday. Some days it is only on and off others it is numb from the time I get up to the time I go to sleep. It is very annoying but I'm glad it's only a minor issue, it could've been alot worse.

(orange_mms) #13

Fortunately there has only been 1 other juvenation member I know of, that also had this happen. He was 24 years old and it was around christmas 08 (information that he posted).