Water flavorings

(Leah) #1

My daughter is 14 months old and been diagnosed with type one a little bit over a month now. We are trying to find other ways to flavor her water rather than using crystal light or other flavoring that has aspartame in it. I made her some lemon water but she doesn’t drink it well, and I know it’s very important for her to drink all the time. But I dont know all the different kinds of fruits that I can use for diabetics rather than lemons. We are just will concerned about the aspartame . Any suggestions about other ways to put flavor in her water . Thank you so much.

(Madalyn) #2

You could try the True Lemon/Lime line of drink flavorings. It uses stevia leaf extract and just the tiniest amount of cane sugar (so little that it shouldn’t affect her BGs unless she drinks gallons and gallons of it in a short amount of time). After nearly 15 years of diabetes, I’ve become intolerant to artificial sweeteners; they cause me severe bloating. The True Lemon/Lime has never bothered me at all.

(joe) #3

@HeavenlyFaith hi Leah, it does not shock me that your baby doesn’t like citrus… it can taste like battery acid to them.

can I make a suggestion and I am not being to trying to be smart… plain water is fine. don’t force it… she will drink what she needs. excess water flushes out certain nutrients, and makes your kidneys work harder for no reason.

if she has very high blood sugar, her kidneys will dump water in a futile attempt to drop blood sugar… she’ll get dehydrated and drink more. it kind of fixes itself if you ask me.

good luck.

(Melissa) #4

We had the same problems with artificial sweeteners, used them excessively at the beginning but found that it gave our son (2 years old at the time) a stomachache. So what I decided to do is to dilute real juice with water by half and included the reduced sugar juice in the carb count for the meal. For in between meals we stuck with water or found the La Croix naturally flavored waters better, my son really likes the tangerine.