Weight loss and fitness

(Annie) #1

I was diagnosed last October and am 30 years old. I found out I was T1D while I’m hosp after surgery to have my thyroid removed. Since getting my synthetic thyroid levels normal I have gained 30 pounds. I’ve never had an issue with weight and am not sure what to do. When I try to work out my sugar always drops. Does anyone have any tips on how to work out and lose weight and still control my sugar levels. Thank you I feel so lost with all of this.

(Cosette) #2

I’m not a doctor but I am a personal trainer, have you tried sipping Gatorade or increasing a preworkout snack? I water down Gatorade for my son when we do heavier activities to help try and balance

(BookwormNerd13) #3

Dropping during fitness is definitely a struggle. I’m on my school’s tennis team and I’ve definitely had problems with gong low during matches. I have found that bringing a bottle of Gatorade or another similar drink onto the court with me is a good way to keep from dropping; I typically take a few sips between points when I feel it’s needed. I also recently got a CGM, which is super helpful because I can see when my levels are dropping and prevent them from going too low. If you don’t have one, I suggest looking into it.

(Annie) #4

Thank you. I have recently gotten a CGM and a pump which have helped to get me level! I’m not sure what kind of snack would be great. I will try the Gatorade and see if that helps. I’ve always been quite active and it’s been really hard to work out like I used to. What would you recommend as a good pre work out snack that won’t spike me? Thank you so much for the advice!

(BookwormNerd13) #5

Everyone has different snack preferences, obviously. One of my favorites is cheese and crackers–fairly low in carbs, but enough to sustain me through a workout (and my doctor has told me that the cheese causes the body to process carbs slower, which can help to avoid one of those annoying spikes). I also bring Gatorade Chews (basically fruit snacks) onto the court with me and eat a few if I feel like the match is particularly long or strenuous. I’m always looking for new snack options, so hopefully some other folks will post on here if they have ideas. :slight_smile:

(Colton) #6

I workout regularly and play football and participate in many strenuous activities. So some of my go to’s are number 1 Gatorade: Now since Gatorade is very sugary and fast acting I would advice not drinking the entire thing unless you are doing something that will burn it off. Number 2: Protein/Granola bar: These are great because they are slow digesting and so the carbs will last a little longer with less of a spike. Try to find a bar that you like thats not too high in carbs but has a decent amount. Number 3: Fruit: Bananas and apples are awesome because they contain good sugars and not as much sugar as say a full Gatorade.

(Rich) #7

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your struggles. I am a 51 year old man with type 1 for more than 41 years. I try to workout 5 - 6 times per week, usually before going to work for 45 minutes, at my home gym in my basement. As I am sure you are aware, it is a vital part of your treatment program…in my opinion as important as diet and meds.
Having said that, it is not easy to stop going low while working out. I tend to workout right after breakfast, which means I will tend to pump in a bit less insulin than if I were not going to workout. I will then (using my pump) set a temp basal to start 30 minutes prior and let it go for at least 30 minutes after the workout. I have a bottle of lo-cal Gatorade that I drink throughout. It is only 12 carbs for the whole bottle. If I were going out for a hike or to a gym for a high intensity workout I would tend to have regular Gatorade with me.
Oftentimes, my BG will drop an hour or 2 after working out, therefore I usually have a snack with me at the office to try to offset the lows. The snack is usually a banana or protein bar, in other words nothing high in calories or bad fat. It is truly a trial and error situation…but please be careful and err towards going a bit high until you work out the kinks.