What can I do to best support parents of 13 yrs old newly diagnosed with D1?

(Sophie) #1

How can one best support parents whose child was just diagnosed with diabetes 1 without being intrusive …? They are our best friends , we feel they might need time to process and don’t want to intrude , but we feel so helpless and want them to know we are there for them … we realize one can’t fully understand if not going through the same thing , but we too are parents and we hurt for them all . Thank you

(Luisa) #2

First off, your friends are lucky to have you! The fact that you reached out on here speaks volumes. One thing I would suggest is educating yourselves as much as possible, as a parent of a child with T1D I can appreciate those who take the time to truly learn about T1D and not just give their opinion or advice based on what they’ve heard (which is usually stories about friends or family who likely had Type 2).

P.S. If you want to go the extra mile count the carbs in their childs meal when they come over, they will love you for that lol

(Sophie) #3

Thank you Luisa ! Very much appreciate your input !:slight_smile:

(Luisa) #4

You’re welcome!

If you haven’t already check out the link below;

http://typeonenation.org/resources/newly-diagnosed/

Not sure if your friends child is too old for the “Bag of Hope” but if so there are other resources on there as well.

(Sophie) #5

thanks again I am seeing her tomorrow. Will check with her :pray:t2:

(RichardV) #6

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. My parents did a wonderful job taking care of me even though not much was known about diabetes back then. They were responsible for getting me off to a good start.
The parents should join diabetes support groups online, and get the information they need. It would be very helpful for the child to meet other Type 1 diabetics, either in the area where he/she lives, or online where there are groups of young people talking to each other.
I also recommend attending a diabetes camp this Spring, or Summer. Much good comes from these camps, and they are well supervised.
I have lived with type 1 for 72 years, and I have good diabetes health. I wish your friends and their child the very best in the years ahead.

(Sophie) #7

Thank you Richard for your kind words . I will relay them to my friends :):pray:t2:

(Wendy Spencer) #8

Hello! I am mom to a 14 year old T1 who was diagnosed when she was 11. It is so great that you are there for your friends - they are going to need you. The biggest kindness my friends showed me, was letting me talk about Kate’s diabetes, in a non judgemental or instructive way. (Avoid the “you should have…” or "Shouldn’t you be doing…) Those people who ignore the diagnosis make conversation difficult. Please know that it can be exhausting - physically and emotionally when a child is first diagnosed, and really really scary. If you can learn about carbs and ketones and what to watch out for in hypos and hypers you will be doing them a huge favour. So, reading up on diabetes is a huge help. Some of the things that upset me, were the people who blamed us for Kate’s diabetes (“Ah it’s all the sweets you gave her.”) or who didn’t bother to find out the differences between type one and type 2. Or those that asked her not to inject in their home and told her that there was no suitable party food they would supply her. (having invited her to a party…)

When having the family round, put out healthy snacks - like nuts, rice cakes, sugar free chocolates, strawberries and cream, blackberries… etc etc. Offer sugar free drinks. Ask the child (or parents) about the testing and injecting. Encourage the child. Tell the parents they are doing a good job.

Lucky parents to have your support. I rather wish you were my friend too…!!

Best wishes

PS I have written about some of the things that go on for me as a parent of a T1 child at Time4t1.blogspot.co.za. You are welcome to check it out.

(Sophie) #9

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer and for your suggestiions . I have been reading a lot trying to educate myself . How can one blame a parent for this …?!!
Seems that ignorance is to blame …thanks the suggestion on the food also , from what I have read so far it would do us all good to monitor our food intake and choices …
thank you thank you ! :pray:t2: I much appreciate your insights.

(tubamann2) #10

Live with a positive attitude. Encourage the family to eat the diabetic meal plan together as often as possible and enjoy the meal and time together. The other family members will learn the value of good nutrition with everyone living a longer healthier life. Keep both feet on the floor when sitting. Your legs and feet with be with you for your whole life with out complications. Be patient and persistent with all things. No diabetics get it right all of the time but we keep trying. Keep your doctor’s appointments: tell your doctor the truth about blood checks, food eaten, exercise gotten, and insulin doses. Balance these four items and you have solved the problem of diabetes care. Learn to play a musical instrument: doing so requires a positive attitude, keeping your feet on the floor, private lessons to increase your knowledge, and finally another reason to develop patience and persistence.

(tedquick) #11

I was diagnosed in April, 1956 at age 5, when Type 1 (then called Juvenile Diabetes) was a new idea. My Mom struggled to learn anything she could to help me with it all, but she was very frustrated by all the unknowns.
About the time I started giving my own shots at age 7 she decided that I needed a talking to about my future. So she sat me down and told me the "Everybody has problems, for instance they have constant headaches, cough or whatever and they learn to live with it. YOUR problem is diabetes, and YOU need to learn to live with it as well as possible. So DO it!.
So I started accepting responsibility for my own health, and I’m still here un excellent health after 61 years of Type 1 diabetes.