What do you think is the hardest part about having a pump is?

(Matthew Rodriguez) #1

Hey guys i am new to this site so if my questions are bad don't yell. I am wondering, my fellow pumpers what do you think is the hardest part about having a pump? I know my BIGGEST problem is remembering to bolus and to enter the rite amount of carbs in.

(Chris) #2

the hardest part 4 me is bolusing 2

(A-D) #3

For me, it is still the transition.  MDI, I could dose by reflex -I knew how much insulin to give by what I was eating.  Now, the carb counting is a bit less automatic and I need a lot less insulinso I feel like I'm all new and awkward again.  Oh, and having my two year old steal my PDM (the one disadvantage to being tubeless...) :)

A-D

T1DM, dx'83, Pumping w/Omnipod

(joe) #4

how much did your insulin requirements drop?  Mine dropped from from almost 67 units to 53 units.      =) you better hope the boy doesn't learn how to give you a whopper of a bolus!!!!  they learn so fast!

(joe) #5

hey Matthew - there is no such thing as a bad question!    Honestly there are only 2 bad parts for me. 

1) it costs more, but like a lot of things, since my control is so much better it may cost a lot less in the long run. 

2) i am self conscious about my infusion site, especially, and I don't know why, around my wife.  it's just the site itself...  for me (Minimed 722) it looks like a round bandaid - but still when I look at it I don't feel  good.  It could have something to do with a reminder that I am sick...  but I am plenty used to it by now.  It may be that I have a BIG ego... I dunno.  =) maybe I have to "get over myself" a little more.

(Payton) #6

I've been on the pump since 2002 so I'm not shy about it and I'm pretty used to operating it. The hardest part for me are the site changes. I don't have a lot of sub-q fat and so many times when I change to a new site it doesn't work, and of course the only way to tell if it doesn't work is to eat something and/or wait for high bg. Switching to smaller cannulas and also using the MM Silhouette sets helped a lot. When I insert a new site I leave the old one in, in case the new one is bad. If the new one is bad, I go back to the old working one until the next day. I learned the hard way that two bad sites in a day is really hard on me, so I give it one shot and if it doesn't work I try again later. I'm hoping the MM CGMS I just started on will help me identify good/bad site changes faster.

(Morgan) #7

I don't really have any problems. The only problems I've really had is my site going in wrong, and then my bloodsugar getting really high.

(Jody C) #8

No such thing as a bad question....The hardest part for me, carb counting, the site switching gets easier each time (as the pump educator said it would).  Keep at it. Practice makes perfect!  I figure it this way, I much rather switch a site every 3 days than give myself 8 shots a day like I used to (and the control is REALLY so much better now).

(Layne) #9

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to answer since I'm not on the pump anymore.  I guess that means there were lots of things I didn't like.  :-)  Here it goes:

I was on the pump for over 5 years and, sure, my blood sugars improved initially but now I can do the same thing with injections.  I think mostly I was not a fan of the tubing and the tangling.  And I hated that there were a zillion things that could go wrong and cause an alarm.  Occlusion, low battery, broken cartridge, low insulin, broken infusion set, and on and on and on.  And sometimes I couldn't figure out what was wrong so I'd have to stop everything and change the whole set and my infusion site.  Now that I'm back on injections, all I need is my syringes and my insulin and I'm golden.

And I think I might have a slight tape allergy because the adhesive always made me itch, not the Tegaderm, just the adhesive on the site.  And I was super clumsy and constantly snagging the tubing on something and yanking out my site. Not to mention having to carry around all those supplies. I like that I have my meter, my strips, syringes and insulin and I'm in business. If I were still on the pump, I'd have to add extra tubing, batteries, Tegaderm, new site equipment, extra cartridges and needles/plungers to go with it. Not cool. Oh! And can I just tell you how many times I dropped that darn thing on my toe!?!?  Okay, I think my list could go on and on.  Do any of you pumpers have these issues or does it just not bother you?

(Daxdog) #10

I think taking the time to do site/resevoir changes is my hardest thing.

(BeckyBee) #11

Layne,

I was so glad to read your answer as my experience with the pump was very similar.  I had the Minimed.. was it a 507?  And then upgraded to the Paradigm.  Seems it didn't matter what I did, I was severely allergic to the tape.  I've been off the pump for about 4 months and my poor tummy still bears the scars and rash that I had from the tape. 

My favorite 'ridiculous' pump moment was rolling over in the night (I put the pump under my pillow) and pulling it out from under the pillow and cracking myself in the eye with it!!  I was laughing from the sillieness and crying from the pain all at the same time.  :)  Ended up with a black eye.. it was insane :)

I will say though, I couldn't have imagined not having the pump when I went through my pregnancy.  It was AMAZING for control. 

So I am with you.. my little makeup bag with vials and syringes for me.. I use Lantus and Humalog (One dose of Lantus in the AM and then multiple doses similar to boluses of the Humalog) - are you on the same kind of routine?

~Becky~

(sciencequeen) #12

Matthew,

Having people be worried they're going to rip it out, or land on my tube, in the middle of sex! ;)

I'm glad they are concerned, but finding a place to put it, especially if I don't have my little thigh sling can be a little interesting to figure out!

Layne,

Maybe I haven't been on it that long (a little over 6 months) or maybe I just have a different pump, but I've almost never had any of those problems. I know what they are, but I've only had one infusion set that got bent when it went in. I've had a couple of rashes, but they are sporadic, so I just change sides or move it far enough away from the rash. As for other supplies, all I ever have with me is a battery, and an extra syringe and vial. I try to refrain from ever changing my set in public (I have a bit of a germophobia), so if my pump stopped working for whatever reason, I could dose however much I needed with the syringe and vial until I got home. Unless I was camping, but then I always pack an extra bag of supplies anyway. I don't find it to be that much more stuff considering I test 10 times a day. Bringing 5 infusion sets for 2 weeks of time is less stuff than 60-75 syringes!!

(system) #13

Some good comments on this one already.  My biggest problems are to remember to bolus when I get out of my routine.  I have a morning routine that "never" changes (except when something happens). I test my blood, then bolus.  If after testing my blood, something happens, I sometimes forget to bolus.  Crazy, I know... :)  My only other issue is site changes.  It's not the site change itself, but my stomach is the best place for me, but I use my hip as well to give my stomach a break, and it is difficult at times removing the pump before a shower.

As far as the comment from Layne..... there is always something that could go wrong.  The "alarms" she was talking about is a safety feature.  Most pumps you can disable the alarm, but not wise at all.  I have only had my tubing pulled out one time in 4 years.... and it was my own fault for trying to hurry (put the pump on my waist band on my pants, hurried to go downstairs and caught it on the door handle.  It only made me mad b/c I just changed it the day before.)

I hope this helps!!!

Jim

(Sparrow) #14

My biggest problem is snagging my tubing on doorknobs, cabinet handles, and the like (hmmm, does that make ME a "doorknob"?). I'll be walking along and all of sudden YANK, I've ripped my site out! Not fun, especially away from home! I've started stashing back-up infusion sets in my Jeep.

I used to have a problem with the "carb" counting thing. That's one of the reasons I switched to the Cozmore from the Minimed. The Cozmore (like the Animas) has a built in food list with their corresponding carbs... you enter the food, and portion (much easier to determine a portion size than remembering it's carbs, too) and, wha-la! It's all entered. I love it. My blood sugar has been MUCH better.

(stilledlife) #15

I love the phrase that Gina gave me to remember to bolus, I say is almost every day, "Food in mouth, pump in hand."

The worst part is just learning about how to use it the best that you can, because it takes so much time, play, and reviewing. I've gone back to my book and have started skimming it again to learn new things.... one my new doc just told me was to always send your sugar readings through the bolus wizard, high low or anything. It has really helped already!

(Gina) #16

Stilllifed,

I am so glad you like that phrase I hope that more people can use it and remember to bolus that way!