What does it look like when honeymoon is over?

(Rachel) #1

Hi i’m Rachel, so I am a newly diagnosed diabetic. Its been 5 months since I started to take shots and check blood sugar levels daily. Recently my blood sugar levels have been ridiculously high… when I say that I mean 200s 300s, normally during lunch to dinner time (12pm to 6pm) then it levels out to a good 100.

I am rather used to the nomral blood sugar range like 70’s to 130;s but now I wake up at 170’s and don’t go below that and if I do bless the gods. But I know for a fact I am carb counting correctly. I even have my dad who is a super math wizard check that I have correctly counted carbs ( I put my food in measuring cups to see how many servings I am gonna have).

I asked the diabetic friends I have but they say that is a normal blood sugar to them, what i mean is the 200’s range, but does this mean my honeymoon ended.

I know the time period is different for every diabetic but does this mean my honeymoon is over. I have no idea what it looks like when the honeymoon is over.

(joe) #2

@Rachelisbelieving it generally means you will need more insulin at meal time, more “basal” insulin and you will see more high blood sugars, especially if you eat something with fast carbohydrates. Since you will have to take more insulin… it can also mean more low blood sugars.

it’s exactly the same as you are dealing with it now… it just gets a little harder, and you’ll have to test a little more

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #3

Hi Rachel @Racheltoner, I don’t know if or when you may be completely out of the “Honeymoon Period”, a brand new term since I was diagnosed 62 years ago and just last month I went through about an 11 day period where I had to reduce my pump basal to 60% and eat what felt like continuously. Strange things happen. I’d like to have a “good level 100” my target range [advised for old-age by the “kids” who are my wonderful doctors] is 100 to 130 mg/dl.

It is really good to see how carefully you count carbs, I measure too for breakfast and lunch but mess up when we go out frequently for supper. I suggest that you may need to adjust your carb / insulin ratio for some of your meal times - you do know that carb ratios are rarely static over the entire day. A way to validate ratios for meal-time, check your BG before eating and then check again 2, 4, 6 hours after. If you are using a rapid-acting meal-time insulin, after 4 hours you should be back close to your before meal reading; if you are “too low” at 6 hours you took too much insulin for the meal you ate. Don’t make a change with only one day’s readings unless you are way off and need to avoid a hypo the next day. Also keep in mind that exercise could affect your BGL for several hours after you come to rest.
Best wishes for you, dad is like me he will enjoy the calculations.

(Jenn) #4

Hi Rachel!
I’m in honeymoon right now too! Definitely talk to your endocrinologist about it - it doesn’t necessarily mean the honeymoon is over, just that your insulin levels might need to be adjusted!
I also would think about what kinds of carbs you’re having! If you have a lot of long lasting carbs (like grains) at once, for me that usually means higher sugars later on in the night whereas quick carbs (like fruit) will make my sugar go higher right then before fizzling out, but sometimes sugars can be weird.
Hope that helps!
-Jenn

(SuperSam101) #5

@Racheltoner eat low carb meals rather. Get exercise. Drink water. Also you’ll know when your honeymoons over. Everything goes wrong

(Jm1977) #6

Hi Rachel,
Had T1 for almost four years and still learning. There is a really good podcast I have been listening to recently called Juicebox. I haven’t listened to all of them but have chosen the ones that were interesting to me. You may find it useful too. I have. There is also a book- Think Like A Pancreas which is good for helping you refigure out your basal. That was my first diabetes book. My target sugar since diagnosis has been 100. There are some foods I avoid-pasta and potatoes being two (the high bs I have afterwards isn’t worth it for me and the tiny portion of pasta isn’t as satisfying as the whole plate - which I would love. So I choose not to go there)

Anyway, I hope you figure it out and your blood sugar gets back to your target. Check out that podcast- I found it really helped me along with this community board and Think Like a Pancreas too.
Good Luck
Joanna

(OShoot) #7

Hi Rachel
Had T1 for 70 yrs now and still going strong. My secret is regular good exercise and test 4 to 5 times daily. Try and hold BG between 145 and 85. Watch out for the night time lows as this can be very detrimental to mental normality. Eating habits and insulin doses are a learning curve, however I reduce carbs as much as possible and live on veges, fruit and fat free game protein (Barbecued) to reduce fat. Do not eat animal fats as this will inhibit your cells ability to absorb insulin. Make constructive notes of every meal, insulin dose and BG readings and exercise (ie walked 5 miles, BG before, BG after). When exercising always provide carbs for low BG events.
Good luck and never ever give up.

(Janice) #8

Rachel, if I understand you, when you get up in the AM your BS is high. This possibly is Dawn Phenomena , what that means that if it has been a long time wince you have eaten say dinner at 6 pm and nothing until the next day, your liver thinks you are starving and will deposit sugar in your bloodstream, you say I have to take insulin to bring it down and that doesn’t always work. If this is your problem, yo need to eat a little something to stop the liver and them you can take your insulin. To keep it from happening, eat a few crackers with a little p-butter before you go to bed that will stop the liver from dumping sugar. Dawn P. can happen at any time but usually in the early AM. 12pm to 6pm maybe too long without eating something, it is for me and if I want a high BS I just have to not eat. Also, remember the brain only uses sugar as it’s fuel. Without it’s fuel the brain doesn’t function correctly. Regarding Honeymoon, don’t know for sure on ending or if it ever does, I have been a type 1 for 64 years, and do what I want. Carbs are a necessity for so many reasons, it’s not the sugar that is our problem, it is the lack of insulin…My range is anywhere from 140 to 200. Dawn P is a real thing but you’d be surprised how many doctors don’t know about it. Usually if I want to stop it fast, I drink 1/2 glass of apple or grape juice, it goes straight into the BS and usually gets the liver to stop, it doesn’t like to thing you are starving. Sounds strange I know but the body wants to survive. Let me know if this works for you. Have a great day, bye jan

(Rachel) #9

Thanks a bunch for the tips!

I now am on the dexcom and now I eat a couple crackers right befoe I sleep its actually kinda cool to see what my blood sugars do right when I’m asleep. For the most part im at a stable 80 from 2am - whenever I wake up.

Thank you to all who responded

(Janice) #10

Rachel, Glad it helped. Have a great day, bye Jan

(SuperSam101) #11

It looks like starvation and a poor eating lifestyle to me. I can only have one sandwich… That’s nothing