What is the difference?

(LauraJ) #1

Why do some people have their blood sugar readings in mmol/L and others (like me) in mg/dl? What is the conversion? I know what a mol is but not a mmol...dont know if it is the same...

Thanks, Laura

(dancetiludrop) #2

i think one is used in europe and asia but ik i use miligram per descilete( spell check)

(golfpapabravo06) #3

i think canadians also use mmol/L but I'm not sure...I was going to ask what the conversation was but you beat me to it.

(virginia1) #4

i'm canadian and i use mmol/L ... good guess Greg ...i have no idea what any one is talking about when they use the other way of measuring hahaha

(system) #5

from what I'm aware of.....the ENTIRE WORLD uses mmol/l.

American's are the only ones I've EVER heard of that use mg/dl.

So it's more like americans is the odd people out. kinda like the whole metric system thing.

btw, to convert mmol/l to mg/dl, you multiply by 18. and to covert from mg/dl to mmol/l you divide by 18.

(kbuckleync) #6

I'm pretty sure that A1C's are also measured in mmol/L, just like how Canadians measure BGs....so it would make sense for Americans to also measure readings like this....but I guess it's similar to the metric debate here.  :o)  We like to make everything as complicated as possible.

(system) #7

if american diabetics are getting a1cs of 5.4 and such type results..then they are measured in mmol/l.

(paulg765) #8

The HbA1c test result is not actually a number in the same way either the mg/dL or mmol/L measures average blood sugar.  The result of the HgA1c is actually a PERCENTAGE %.  This percentage represents the ratio of Hemoglobin in the blood which HAS glucose attached to it (that's "bad" hemoglobin) to the total amount of Hemoglobin.  (i.e. "The HbA1c test measures the percentage of hemoglobin molecules in the red blood cells that have glucose attached.)  Hemoglobin is the oxygen-carrying component of the red blood cells in the bloodstream.  Accordingly, this percentage (unlike the mg/dL and mmol/L blood sugar measurement) is the same everywhere.  Here is a chart which shows how all three numbers relate to each other, courtesy of Wikipedia:

(LauraJ) #9

yeah i have thought that it is weird that my a1c's are in mmol/L and my daily BS readings are in mg/dl.

(LauraJ) #10

Oh I see! I must have been writing my last post when you put that up because I hadnt seen it.

(Sugar-FreeInYYC) #11

Wow Paul.. I was so wrong in thinking that an A1C of 8 was so-so.  Now that I know that it means my average BGs are in the 11.5 range.. that's scary!

Thanks tho.

(poodlebone) #12

[quote user="Batts"]

from what I'm aware of.....the ENTIRE WORLD uses mmol/l.

American's are the only ones I've EVER heard of that use mg/dl.

So it's more like americans is the odd people out. kinda like the whole metric system thing.

[/quote]

Actually, a lot of countries use mg/dl.  This list may be outdated but it's the only one I could find.