What kinds of shots do you think are needed---like flu shots?

(meme) #1

My daughter brought home one of those liile booklets that are in the doctor office.This one ---A Guide to Preventable Diseases in Adolescents.--In here,VACCINES  for Tetanus,HPV,flu,Chickenpox,Pneumococcal etc..... I know all the shots have been taken because the school and doctor check them. I just wanted to know if any other extra shots are important.Is there a shot for pneumonia ? I think I will put that on my endo question list..

(BrianPQuinn) #2

To be honest Tetnus is the most important shot to have along with the MMR and stuff we get as kids. I have never been a big fan of any other shots. The one time I got a flu shot is the one time I get attacked by the flu, so I tend to avoid it. There is one I think for Pneumonia as well. As for some of the other shots out there I have my own opions of them, especially HPV, but that is another issue and obviously being a guy not one I will have to worry about.

(Rosemary5) #3

Personally I have gotten all of those vaccines except chickenpox because I had them before there was a vaccine. I never got the pneumococcal until this past year when I started working in the hospital (its geared more towards older/less active people). However I would reccommend that she get all other the ones you've listed especially the flu vaccine this year, except pneumococcal may not be necessary (but ask her endo's oppinion). I know many parents are resistent to getting their children the HPV vaccine because they think it's like telling their daughter it's okay to have sex, but in reality I think it is at least 70% of women over 20 have HPV and if you can prevent it and the cervical cancer it can cause with 3 simple shots why wouldnt you? I don't remember how old you said your daughter was but I also reccommend the meningococcal vaccine, at least before going away to college because if one of her friends gets meninigitis it can spread quickly. Definitely talk with either her endo or primary care doc, whoever she sees sooner to see what they think. I hope this helps!

(Sarah_0776) #4

[quote user="Brian"]

As for some of the other shots out there I have my own opions of them, especially HPV, but that is another issue and obviously being a guy not one I will have to worry about.

[/quote]

I have wondered about the HPV vaccine. Personally, I don't see a need for myself to get it, seeing as I am waiting until marriage to have sex. My sister's fiance, however, has told both of us that we should get it just to be safe, even though we're both waiting. He's going into the medical field, so I wonder if he's right. I don't understand why though, if I am not sexually active, I should get the vaccine. Until someone gives me a clear reason why I should need it, I won't get it.

|†~*Sarah*~†|

(sarahslp) #5

[quote user="Sarah"]

I have wondered about the HPV vaccine. Personally, I don't see a need for myself to get it, seeing as I am waiting until marriage to have sex. My sister's fiance, however, has told both of us that we should get it just to be safe, even though we're both waiting. He's going into the medical field, so I wonder if he's right. I don't understand why though, if I am not sexually active, I should get the vaccine. Until someone gives me a clear reason why I should need it, I won't get it.

|†~*Sarah*~†|

[/quote]

Sarah -- This may be an inappropriate topic for me to be discussing here, but here goes ... I'm not saying to get/not to get the HPV shot (you should ask your dr!), but I think the idea is that you are immune later, once you're married. If your future husband hadn't waited (had been sexually active), you would still be protected.

(sarahslp) #6

[quote user="Brian"]

The one time I got a flu shot is the one time I get attacked by the flu, so I tend to avoid it. 

[/quote]

I swear by the flu shot myself. The one year I *didn't* get it, I got really sick. I was living abroad and too lazy to find out where to get it, and I was sick for a week.

But, I understand that the actual shot does make some people feel sick! Luckily, I've been okay w/ it...

(Eric_Carpenter) #7

Concerning the HPV vaccine, the medical field likes to think ahead. Even if you decide to wait there is always the chance that something unfortunate could happen to you.  For this reason, my med school contact recommends all women get the vaccine.

(orange_mms) #8

Last Oct. (08) I got my first flu shot and my first pneumonia shot at the same time. The nurse put them in the same arm (I was told it shouldn't have been done that way, but I'm not doctor and don't know if that's true) anyways I got this huge red patch on my arm. I'd say it covered my elbow to my shoulder. It was like that the day after I got the shots until 1.5 weeks later. It hurt, was swollen could've been allergic reaction but I couldn't get into see my PCP. I don't think I'll be getting a flu shot this year, it isn't worth the hassle I went through last year. My doctor also said the pneumonia shot will last until I'm in my 60's, again I have no idea if that's true.

(Monique H) #9

[quote user="Sarah"]

|†~*Sarah*~†|

[/quote]

As with any other vaccine, just be sure you're reading the most recent information on safety and efficacy as part of your decision-making process.  This is a pretty straight forward and recent article addressing the most common concerns with HPV vaccine.  http://www.i-sis.org.uk/HPV_Vaccine_Controversy.php

Mo