What was life like before diabetes?

(kissaboo12) #1

Ok, i have never really know the answer to the question above but my best friend just asked me that and I couldn't honestly answer but she just really wants to know how much it has changed us. So, what differences has diabetes made to your life?

(kdrake88) #2

Well, honestly it is hard for me to explain and be positive about it because I feel like a lot of my issues now correlate with Diabetes, so I apologize.

I was diagnosed just before I turned 16 so needless to say I wasn't allowed to drive very often until 8 months after my birthday. Also, being smack dab in the middle of my teenage years wasn't easy to handle either. I often have thought to myself that if having Diabetes was inevitable, I would have rather gotten it early enough to where I either wouldn't remember the difference or at least at an age where I would have gotten a toy and not really have understood what was wrong. I have a friend that was diagnosed at the age of four and all she remembers is getting a Barbie, where I associate mine with constant ridicule from people at school and very rapid weight gain because I was put on the wrong regimen.

It is defnitely hard when you go from eating oreos and milk and pb&j every day after school and losing weight (high BG's) to stuck in a hospital for two days starving because your diet is very strict so the dr. can figure out all of your rates. I feel like a lot of my weight gain is contributed to my diabetes and I feel like I'd be a lot thinner and happier with myself if I didn't have it. I'm sure no matter who you are and when you are diagnosed you go through times when you are just tired of it, but I remember every detail of my diagnosis and I remember life before diabetes very vividly. I often find myself in a hurry and having to fill my insulin pump or checking my blood sugar and thinking "i hate this. if i didn't have diabetes, I would be on time and not stressed out". I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety or depression, but I do know that I am alot more of a "debby downer" and my anxiety has escalated a lot since my diagnosis. I feel that I am almost always stressed. Now, again, this is a negative way to look at this, and I hope you don't adopt this way of thinking, but this is how I see it:

Our patience is a fish tank. Each piece of stress is a handful of pebbles or fish tank rocks that are used to fill this tank. Every day little stresses are like little pebbles, and the big things in life are boulders. I feel like every detail and chore that goes into having T1 has filled up my tank so high with little pebbles that everything else that may otherwise not be a huge deal (i.e., a big test coming up, relationship issues, roommate issues, etc.) turn into big boulders that make my tank overflow. Oddly enough, I heard this analogy by a guest speaker when I was in elementary school regarding parent's and their stresses, but its always stuck with me and now I've adapted it to my life. Again, I know this is a negative picture or way to think about it, but unfortunately, that's how my brain works. I'm trying to think more positive about T1 and I think that juvenation is my first step.

On my good days, though, I think that even though I probably would have been thinner, I also think that overall I may be on a healthier track. I don't eat healthy nearly enough, but I do make a ton of more concious healthy decisions than I would have had I not been diagnosed. I also feel like having this will allow me to better connect with those around me. I am going into a field that revolves around diseases and disorders and I will be able to be that much more empathetic towards those I will be working with.

If I could change anything about having diabetes, it would be that everyone in the Diabetic field of work that I have and do work with regarding my health would have T1 as well. It is hard talking to someone about your health when you know they don't understand 100% what you are going through. They can tell you how to fix your problems, but not how to deal with the emotions that go along with having a chronic illness.

Bottom Line: Life before the big D was a lot more easy, less stressful and carefree, but a lot less healthy.  

(system) #3

i'm one of the lucky ones. i was diagnosed when i was 6. i'm thankful for that, because i actually can't remember what life was like before i had to take needles every day and poke my finger. i have nothing to compare my life to, so i have no reason to feel like i'm missing out cuz it's all i remember.

(BrianPQuinn) #4

My life before diabetes was pretty much the same as post. I was always a little grown up at that age. I had already hit the sullen shy teenage years. I was a little more out of shape and more addicted to sweets. While I may have matured and grown up a little faster, I can't for certain guess anything else. I did have more friends pre-diabetes, I lost one of them right before my diagnosis, I wonder though sometimes if that was going to happen anyway or if my pre-diagnosis state drove him away. Oh well. Would not being a diabetic be any different than being one, I am not certain. Maybe I am a little more cynical and sarcastic, but I have a feeling that was bound to happen anyway. So truly life pre and post can't be all that much different other than a change in what I ate and more fun excuses to make.

(Brittany) #5

Life before diabetes was perfect! I mean perfect. I loved it and nothing was wrong. It was pretty much my dream life

(system) #6

i was 5. i don't remember much. i remember dinosaur cookies in preschool and eating 3 bowls of rice krispies for breakfast, but that's about it. it was a traumatic change, but like most kids i transitioned pretty smoothly. 5 year olds are very "here and now" so i never thought about having diabetes unless it was time for a shot or finger poke. i consider myself lucky as well because i feel that not remembering life before has made things easier.

(orange_mms) #7

I was also diagnosed at age 5 (nearly 26 yrs. ago). I was too young to remember what my life was like before diabetes. I am thankful for my early diagnosis though, it is the only lifestyle I've ever known.

(DDrumminMan) #8

I was diagnosed at age 19 32 years ago.  Life before diabetes is a distant memory.  It was good.  I have/had great parents and a happy childhood.  My life has been both good and bad since.  Not really due to diabetes.  It's just different now.  I don't think about what life would be like without it or wish i didn't have it.  Get's me nowhere.  Living with diabetes is life for me.  It's the only one I got.  Life before diabetes was so long ago, it almost doesn't seem real anymore.

(Rosemary5) #9

I've been diabetic for almost 10 years, so it is hard to remember what it was like. I guess it was a little more carefree didnt have to worry abotu counting carbs and what supplies I have to have with me at all times, didnt have to explain to everyone that yes I am "aloud" to eat sugar. However, I think having diabetes has made me more responsible and more health conscious if nothing else.

(cdavid1) #10

I was 19 when I was diagnosed which was only 7 months ago. Life was great! I remember being able to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. The thing that changed most for me was school! I was so nervous to have to do shots on my own on campus everyday just to survive. It was a horrible feeling being alone (because I lived on campus) and not having my families support there all the time!

(ThePancreanator) #11

Most of my changes have probably been for the best, honestly.  The biggest change is diet.  I eat so much healthier now and have opened up to so many delicious vegetables and foods that I previously wouldn't try.  Cutting out sweets can never be a bad thing.

Other things include become more interested and supportive of scientific research.  It's not that I opposed anything to begin with, I just really was indifferent.  Obviously I hold stem cell research with more importance now, and hope that in the near future something is found.

Fortunately, I don't think these things are very major, and pricking my finger and giving myself shots don't bother me at all, so in reality I'm glad that I haven't changed all that much. (:

(BrianPQuinn) #12

Healthy eating is a Biggie and very key. Not to mention gotta love the veggies and to a lesser degree fruits.

(ThePancreanator) #13

[quote user="Brian Q."]

Healthy eating is a Biggie and very key. Not to mention gotta love the veggies and to a lesser degree fruits.

[/quote]

The list of vegetables I enjoy eating now is easily doubled what I would eat before.  I can't believe what I let myself miss out on for so long.  Thank you diabetes!!! hahaha 

(GGBG55) #14

i was diagnosed at 3

and the only thing i can Really remember at that time was that when the ice cream truck came by, i wasnt allowed to get anything :'(

lol. at the time it kind of made me sad/mad. hahaha but im over it now.

*******i actually think having diabetes has made a stronger person. i had more responsibilities when i was younger and i think i grew up a bit faster then my peers. I honestly think i would be a completely different person if i was never diagnosed. so in a way i guess im glad? lol.

(alexandra) #15

i was diagnosed just before i turned twelve, so it will have been 3 years in 2 months. And honestly, i can hardly remember life without it. it seems like such a long time ago when i would just walk into my panrty and eat whatever i wanted whenever i wanted.

(Jordance1992) #16

well for me i have only been diagnosed for 6 & half months....so clearly i remember my life without diabetes. As of march 18, 2009 i was a carefree 17 year old junior who was living the stressful life of being a teenager-school, work, dance, friends, etc. I was always on the go--grabbing a poptart/bag of chips/etc. between school and work. I was loving my hectic life and I truly appreciated everything I had going for me. However on March 19 everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with diabetes. For the first 3 months I took it really hard. I was going into a depression. I was pushing friends away, I lost the guy I cared about the most, I had major family issues, and I was NOT dealing with diabetes at all. The first 3 months was the hardest because I wanted my "normal" life back. However for the last few months I have been doing great. I finally accepted the disease and I am "ok" with it. I have had some great opportunities come out of it and I appreciate life soo much more now! Life is too short-that's for sure!!

(davidsonc18) #17

i was diagnosed a few months after my 16th birthday.  i'm almost 18 now and i remember life very clearly before diabetes.  i have to agree with kim.  it has definetly made me more stressed and much more serious.  i used to be happy and outgoing and loved to go to movies and lunch and just chill with my friends but now i prefer to be alone.  it seems that i'm quieter now because i feel not normal like people will think that they can "catch" diabetes from me.  i'm probably just imagining that but i can't seem to shake it.  so to answer your question kelsey being diagnosed with diabetes has changed my personality and i'm still trying to find a way to get back to the old me.  and if anyone else has gone through this i will gladly take suggestions on how to get back to the old me!!

(diabetes1998) #18

I cant rember because i have had diabetes since i was 3 1/2 years old almost 12 years ago

(since030993) #19

Sad to say, I don't know what life was like before diabetes.  I can't imagine not having to deal with it daily, but I look foward to when the questions become:

What was life like back when you had diabetes?  Tell me about the day you first heard about the cure?  Describe when you got cured?

That will be a glorious day!

(Brandy W.) #20

I definitely remember because I was one of the late bloomers!  I got diagnosed in college at the lovely age of 19.  Let's just say my absolute FAVORITE drink was Orange Juice.  For obvious reasons I am not able to enjoy that with breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday now.  I would have to say that is a biggie just because it is a little thing most people don't think about.  The other one ... always having to carry a purse.  There are so many concerts I have gone to, where pre D, I could stick my ID in my back pocket with some money and go in.  Now, I HAVE to carry a purse to EVERYTHING so I have my meter, a snack, extra supplies, etc.  It is very annoying.  I have to say that I feel less "tied down" by my pump than I do with my purse.  I hate having to always carry so much stuff around.  Also thank you for saying what you did :[quote user="since030993"]

What was life like back when you had diabetes?  Tell me about the day you first heard about the cure?  Describe when you got cured?

[/quote]

I totally agree!!!  I can't wait.