Whats the Connection Between Race and Diabetes?

(DiabetesNewsHound) #1

I've seen a lot of studies talking about the greater rate of Type 2 diabetes among non-Caucasians. However, I have not seen any studies talking about Type 1 and race. I'm curious to know -- for those that feel ok answering this question -- what race you are and what age you were diagnosed. 

OTHER HEADLINES FROM DIABETES NEWS HOUND

Firm Seeking U.S. Approval for Faster-Acting Insulin

Experts: Sugar, Spice & Everything May Not be Alright

(meme) #2

What age and race were you DiabetesNewsHound ?  .....age 12--caucasian-----Thanks for all your info.-good site !

(Jessica L) #3

I read someplace Caucasians were more likely to get type 1. I have been reading so much at this point I do not remember where I read it or if the info was from a reliable source or not.

(meme) #4

I keep hearing of pets with d..I never knew pets could get this --Does that mean the pet has type1 or 2 ?

(DiabetesNewsHound) #5

Diagnosed at age 23 as type 1.5. I am caucasian. I have read about climate and type 1, which can have some correlation to race, but is far from concrete

(jesskip) #6

DX-11---Race-Caucasian

(CHLjoe) #7

DX at age 13, caucasian

(meme) #8

When my daughter first got d--I read something about most people getting this before or around the age 12--all I could think of ----if only---We all most made it .!!!!!  As time passed and I read more-type1 was many ages--not just kids......I wish I could find that info. again--

(joe) #9

[quote user="meme"]

When my daughter first got d--I read something about most people getting this before or around the age 12--all I could think of ----if only---We all most made it .!!!!!  As time passed and I read more-type1 was many ages--not just kids......I wish I could find that info. again--

[/quote]

hi meme if you go to this site   http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/about.shtml

you can see a distribution of ages of T1 onset.  The members there have recorded onset from 0 to 60 years old. The site has 5000 members so I think the data is pretty good as far as US information.

Cheers!

(thebeatles909) #10

DX 10 cacuasain

(Sarah Romaine) #11

[quote user="DiabetesNewsHound"]

I've seen a lot of studies talking about the greater rate of Type 2 diabetes among non-Caucasians. However, I have not seen any studies talking about Type 1 and race. I'm curious to know -- for those that feel ok answering this question -- what race you are and what age you were diagnosed. 

OTHER HEADLINES FROM DIABETES NEWS HOUND

Firm Seeking U.S. Approval for Faster-Acting Insulin

Experts: Sugar, Spice & Everything May Not be Alright

[/quote]

I am a caucasian female, and was diagnosed at 12.  I grew up in Dearborn, MI

My husband (not on this site) is caucasian and was diagnosed at 3.  He grew up in Sioux City, IA

I mention where I grew up because of the people in my elementary class (probably more than 30 and less than 40) three were diagnosed with diabetes.  The three of us lived within 10 blocks of eachother and attended the same schools from primary school on.

(Oanj9) #12

My brother was 9 years old when he was diagnosed and hes caucasion.

(system) #13

Dx 52 caucasian

(diabeticcowgirl) #14

DX at age 10 Race Native American......Im the minority in this post...he he he

(diabeticcowgirl) #15

[quote user="meme"]

I keep hearing of pets with d..I never knew pets could get this --Does that mean the pet has type1 or 2 ?

[/quote]

Pets dont have different types, they are just insulin dependant.  I had a dog that was diabetic...he was the best dog ever and i still miss him!!!

(Anonymous) #16

Dx 21 Caucasian

(Jessica L) #17

Ri dx age 9 Caucasian

(Trisha Faye) #18

Brandan: Dx 12 months, caucasian

(Sarah_0776) #19

Dx at age 9, and I'm Pacific Islander. Yay for minorities! (=

(akels) #20

Asa, Diagnosed at 15, BLACK!