When to get a pump?

(Megan) #21

I was 19 when I was diagnosed and did shots for 3 months before I got my first pump. It’s the best thing I ever did, and have been a pump user nonstop for almost 15 years. I’ve also used the Dexcom and highly recommend it. As far as pumps go, I’ve used the Omnipod and Minimed. I’m currently on the Minimed 670G, which I love, but it’s not for everyone. I’d suggest “walk before you run” with the Minimed 670G because it requires a little pump familiarity.

I’ve also had my fair share of I’ll advice from medical professionals. I’d suggest calling Minimed or Omnipod and speaking to one of their people to learn more. At the end of the day, it’s yours and your son’s decision, not the doctors!

(Kathleen) #22

We are in a very similar situation. In January, my then 12 year old son was hospitalized and diagnosed with T1D. Fortunately, he is also very responsible and took ownership right from the start; checking his BG, counting carbs, making his lunch, carrying emergency essentials and giving his own injections. We started with a pump just over one month after his diagnosis. The learning process has continued for us over the past 9 months and will continue. Sometimes we are at a “run”, but still times that we are “walking” or even “crawling.”
In my opinion, if your son wants the pump he should tell his doctors this regularly and frequently. His body, his care. I keep reminding my son at appointments that there is no better time than the present to speak up and be in control of his health care. Good luck to you!
Kathy Murphy

(Cindy) #23

My son was diagnosed at 12 and was on the pump less than 3 months later. Admittedly, I am a physician and understood the basics of pumping (agree that Pumping Insulin is an excellent resource) and I advocated strongly for an early pump, but it is ultimately your and your son’s decision. Our son’s pump (Omnipod) has greatly improved his quality of life - fewer injections, more freedom and flexibility, and much more confidence and independence in managing his condition, not to mention excellent glycemic control. There is definitely a learning curve and there are downsides but ultimately, your medical team should be supportive of what you and your son decide are best for him. This is not to say that excellent control, independence and confidence can’t be achieved with MDIs, simply sharing our experience and success. Best of luck!

(Joel) #24

THIS!!

Aside from the insurance companies not wanting to pay for a $9000 device when they’re not convinced you can manage your BGs, for your own benefit as a diabetic, you should be proficient at injections in the event of a pump failure. Because life conspires.

Get on the cgm of choice (as a parent and an intensive care nurse I prefer the Dexcom because it sends you the data) and learn it, because it too has a curve. You have to allow 30-40 minutes to see the results of an intervention, for example.

Keep advocating for the pump, because it will be better than injections when used correctly, the data supports this. It’s usually about 6 months after diagnosis, which seems like a lot but will be a flash after the first year is past.

Best wishes