Why is it so hard for me to hold relationships?

(Miss Lena) #1

Ever since I became diagnosed I notice I argue so much with people all the time. I know sometimes it's very hard for me to understand the simplest thing someone is telling me. People think im lying when I say I don't understand. I'm tired of arguing with people and just being alone. I hate this..idk if its me or what?

(golfpapabravo06) #2

I bet you argue over little things that aren't as big an issue when it comes to relationships.  You can blame high blood sugars for this without a doubt.  Before I got on the pump, I was easily ticked off about little things, I would explode for no reason.  This is when my a1c was in the 8s.  When I got on the pump and my a1c dropped to a normal level I was more relaxed about the little things.  Have you ever had a high that you're frustrated at so much because you don't know why you are high to begin with?  So are you on a pump? How's your a1c? chin up!

Greg

(sarahslp) #3

When I'm feeling depressed or angry about bigger issues, I definitely take it out on people close to me by getting angry about small non-issues. Do you think you need to give yourself more of a break about how hard it is to adjust to having D?

(Miss Lena) #4

Hey I'm not on the pump yet I'm in the process of getting it because my doctor wants to bring my Alc down. I'm not sure what it is now but it was extremely high because my sugars were constantly in the 5 and 600s. but now im averaging normals and actually some lows...I used to get really mad all the time because I didnt know why my sugars were so high and it was extremely frustrating I felt like everything would bother me.

I think I probably am being too hard on myself, I get frustrated so easily, but I am making a lot of progress from before because I am strating to keep myself really busy and checking my sugars more often as frustrating as it is at times because I have to stop what I'm doing and take a break...you guys know how it is...but like my friend says u gota be like nike just do it! lol cuz if not i'll just have to sit here and die..i gota keep moving and just deal wit it...

(golfpapabravo06) #5

yeah dont be too hard on yourself its blood sugar related, mood swings are frequent when you have high blood sugar you can go from being angry about a high to horribly sad and depressed about it to the point of tears.  Not dying is good motivation for you haha.  Keep me posted on your search for the right pump!

Greg

(Miss Lena) #6

yeah i get craZy moodswings! really mad one minute really depressed the next lol...I'm going to my doctor tomorrow I really hope she puts me on the pump soon! :(

(orange_mms) #7

Good luck at your doctor's appointment. Crazy mood swings are a normal thing with T1, I have them too.

(Gina) #8

High blood sugars and mood swings go hand in hand unfortunately. The best thing you can do is just try to keep them from being too high by checking often and correcting. You will notice that if your blood sugars are in a better range, you start feeling better and then you are less likely to start up confrontation with people.

The pump will help but it doesn't always solve all of your problems.

(Miss Lena) #9

I just wish my family and friends would understand that I don't do it intentionally.

(golfpapabravo06) #10

I know it maybe hard for them to understand at first but have you tried telling them you don't mean to be explosive its just something that happens when your blood sugar is higher than usual?  They may need to hear it from a person of higher authority (knows more about diabetes than the average diabetic) just coming from someone with credentials may help them understand you don't mean to bite their heads off.

(FreeHappyHolly) #11

I always try to remind myself that dealing with diabetes is a grieving process - it seems to help me deal with it better - knowing that it's a normal thing to go through all those crazy emotions and that it will get better with time.   

(Kateski) #12

You have a lot going on... You have the emotional baggage of actually having the disease and being angry and frustrated about that, then on top of that there is the mood swings caused by blood sugar swings.  I get groggy and depressed with highs and irritated, snippy and rude with lows.   Exercise is one of the biggest keys for me in terms of good sugars and mood.  

(Miss Lena) #13

Well my doctor talked to my mom- she's the only one that goes to the doctor with me for the most part...i try explaining it to me friends but i don't think they get it sometimes...I'm in the process of getting ready to go back to school and then I will be working out more often than usual...I have to go see my doctor again on Friday because she was overcrowded today...Patience is key, but sometimes I run out...today I'm good for the most part just layin low trying to relax..I got into an argument with my friend the other day...but we're talking again...I guess it is very hard to deal with me sometimes

(ajax) #14

Just another "you're not the only one message". One of my best ways to tell if I am low (or high, but I'm low a lot more often) is if I am snapping at my friends. It seems like there are lots of things that aren't important, but are a little annoying, and when I am low I get really irritated about them and have to remind myself that they don't matter, and then test, and I'm usually in the 40s or 50s.

(puns_and_roses) #15

[quote user="ajax"]One of my best ways to tell if I am low (or high, but I'm low a lot more often) is if I am snapping at my friends[/quote]

when im in the 55-70 range, i repeat what people say but add "no, you" in the front.

example- "carrie, go test" "no, you go test!" and *alarm clock goes off* "no, you wake up!"

it leads to some funny moments, but does get really annoying

(Miss Lena) #16

yeah i've noticed most of these arguments lately tend to occur at nighttime...and my sugar has been dropping alot at nighttime...lately i've been having trouble sleep. so i fall asleep around 1:30 and right before I'm about to go to bed I start shaking test my sugar and it's in the 70's..today I'm eating a snack and taking no insulin...being low right before I go to bed kinda scares me..I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow

(sarahslp) #17

[quote user="Miss Lena"]

yeah i've noticed most of these arguments lately tend to occur at nighttime...and my sugar has been dropping alot at nighttime...lately i've been having trouble sleep. so i fall asleep around 1:30 and right before I'm about to go to bed I start shaking test my sugar and it's in the 70's..today I'm eating a snack and taking no insulin...being low right before I go to bed kinda scares me..I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow

[/quote]

Lena, When you say "take no insulin," I'm assuming you mean no short-acting insulin? You should still take the long-acting even if you're low, but the dr may recommend a lower dose. 

Sorry if this is totally obvious to you and you probably already know this, but just checking. (:

(Miss Lena) #18

no i didn't alot of things are still new to me...i should know these things by now but i don't...i learn something new everyday i guess

(Miss Lena) #19

Does anyone every not realize when they're snapping at someone.. or are your friends or ppl always like why are u always snapping at me or something..ppl keep telling me i have an attitude and i swear i don't realize i do..is this just me or do u guys go thru this too?

(ajax) #20

I often don't realize I'm snapping at someone until after the fact. It's so frustrating.